The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Subwoofer question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eff3ct

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2009
Seattle, Washington
So I have had these for quite a long time, I'd say 4 years roughly.
They were in a car with an enclosed trunk that started leaking water, in a unported box.

Anyways a few weeks ago when I wanted to put them in the new car, I noticed they weren't doing much of... anything. Watching them carefully I could just see a little movement. So I took them out and the back looks like this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The box:

You can see some I think mildew in the bottom of the box there.

I don't really know how to "test" subs, but I can push and pop the cone in and out, so I know it has play. Is that corrosion? Do magnets get corrided? I've never seen that happen.

Any thoughts as to what would cause them to not play? Should I try sanding this gray stuff off?

:hellyeah:if the sub feel gritty like something is inside the voice coils there ruined the only way to fix this is send them off to be clean rebuilt etc... the outside of the magnet only uses polarity to move the sub in and out from a signal sent from your head unit....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back