The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Stuck in Limp mode. Testing the shift solenoids?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaMale

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2004
PHX, Arizona
Alright, the tranny sits in limp mode right now. However there is no CEL, and I'm not getting any codes from the TCU, i've removed the TCU, visually inspected it. reset the ECU, TCU and disconnected the battery and every accesable harness on the transmission, every time i start the car it goes right into limp mode. This is driving me insane, so i guess i have to test the shift solenoids, however i can't seem to find the paper that came with the shift kit showing how to test them, and my DSM CD manual doesnt say which plug holds the wires for the shift solenoid, has anyone seen this happen before? As far as the limp mode, no code thing? Does anyone have the paper im talking about and would they scan it? can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or what could possibly be the problem?

:confused:

AlphaMale said:
Alright, the tranny sits in limp mode right now. However there is no CEL, and I'm not getting any codes from the TCU, i've removed the TCU, visually inspected it. reset the ECU, TCU and disconnected the battery and every accesable harness on the transmission, every time i start the car it goes right into limp mode. This is driving me insane, so i guess i have to test the shift solenoids, however i can't seem to find the paper that came with the shift kit showing how to test them, and my DSM CD manual doesnt say which plug holds the wires for the shift solenoid, has anyone seen this happen before? As far as the limp mode, no code thing? Does anyone have the paper im talking about and would they scan it? can anyone give me some advice on what to look for or what could possibly be the problem?

Often times flashing out the codes wont show them, you may need to find someone with a scan tool to accurately read the TCU codes. This would be the first step in diagnosis.

If you had electrical problems with the shift solenoids, you would certainly have a code.

-John

oh hey it's you :) i spoke with you via Email the last couple days.
I found the paper under the passenger seat of me car. yay.
So i built the small switch box to manually shift the tranny, Tranny shifts!!

however as soon as i unhook my little switches and plug that harness back in, limp mode!
Is there anything between the TCU and that harness that could be bad? I pulled the TCU out and visually inspected it, everything seems fine, no blown compacitors or breaks on the circuit board.. I wish i had an extra tcu to slap in there but im a manual dsm kinda guy, this is the first autobox i've sunk my claws in.

Is there a downside to using the switchbox i made? i noticed the PCS wasnt hooked up so im assuming that could result in bad things after a while.. But i kinda liked manually shifting this little turd, was kinda like a box in a rally car :thumb:

Well while talking to a guy at ForeignECUrepair.com about getting a price on a TCU he asked if i closely inspected the processors, and i realized that they were the only thing on the tcu i didnt really look at, so i pulled the TCU again and saw this...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So who has an AWD 1g TCU for sale???

i had alot of problems too with my automatic tranny their all fixed now. dont go online for a tcu through some no name.i went on ebay for one and the guy gave me one that didt even work. but i got one that worked perefect and still is at www.mitsubishigraveyard.com he is great it prob will cost u 150 shipped.

91dsmeclipse said:
i had alot of problems too with my automatic tranny their all fixed now. dont go online for a tcu through some no name.i went on ebay for one and the guy gave me one that didt even work. but i got one that worked perefect and still is at www.mitsubishigraveyard.com he is great it prob will cost u 150 shipped.

I bought a used TCU through a member here for $55, works great.
After 13 days of driving with the toggle switch controlled transmission i started to enjoy it. Now that everything is installed and the TCU is working again, I got my first feel of the translab shift kit, i know im going to need to upgrade the end clutches eventually so i'll just do it soon. shift kit works great though, thanks to IPT for the technical assistance.

:thumb:

AlphaMale said:
After 13 days of driving with the toggle switch controlled transmission i started to enjoy it. Now that everything is installed and the TCU is working again, I got my first feel of the translab shift kit, i know im going to need to upgrade the end clutches eventually so i'll just do it soon. shift kit works great though, thanks to IPT for the technical assistance.

Okay, does this mean that manually switching the transmission via a pair of toggles is a viable means of operation to drive a car that's stuck in limp mode? It won't do any permanent damage to the tranny while I'm waiting for the replacement TCU? If so, is the following the correct means of hooking up the switches?

Connector B-24
Pin 1 Blue wire Pressure Control solenoid unswitched; leave connected
Pin 2 Red wire Lock-up solenoid toggle; 12v switched on for lock-up
Pin 3 Orange wire Shift solenoid "A" toggle; 12v switched on for 1st & 4th - off for 2nd & 3rd
Pin 4 Yellow wire Shift solenoid "B" toggle; 12v switched on for 1st & 2nd - off for 3rd & 4th

Do I need to switch the lock-up manually or will it do it's thing if I just leave it connected? Can I use a pair of connectors from a salvage car to rig up this switch box and plug it inline and override the TCU commands?

Thanks for clarifying this for me!

Don T. NN4S

NN4S said:
Okay, does this mean that manually switching the transmission via a pair of toggles is a viable means of operation to drive a car that's stuck in limp mode? It won't do any permanent damage to the tranny while I'm waiting for the replacement TCU? If so, is the following the correct means of hooking up the switches?

Connector B-24
Pin 1 Blue wire Pressure Control solenoid unswitched; leave connected
Pin 2 Red wire Lock-up solenoid toggle; 12v switched on for lock-up
Pin 3 Orange wire Shift solenoid "A" toggle; 12v switched on for 1st & 4th - off for 2nd & 3rd
Pin 4 Yellow wire Shift solenoid "B" toggle; 12v switched on for 1st & 2nd - off for 3rd & 4th

Do I need to switch the lock-up manually or will it do it's thing if I just leave it connected? Can I use a pair of connectors from a salvage car to rig up this switch box and plug it inline and override the TCU commands?

Thanks for clarifying this for me!

Don T. NN4S

if your car is equipped with lock up, i'd control it, but if not, don't worry about it, aside from that you got it all right. :thumb:

hey alphamale, i heard galant vr4's suck.. you know if theres any truth to that?

:p

I'm selling two GOOD TCU's if your interested?

See EBay...search for TCU

my car is stuck in limp mode and i have no wiring abbilaties and I dont know what a tcu ecu and those lil abbreviations are...can someone help me and tell me how i can see whats causing it to be in limp mode?

Johnny X :laser:

AlphaMale said:

DO you have a DETAILED FAQ for the toggle switch controlled transmission ???? Any pix??? more info??? :talon: :talon: :talon: :talon: :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back