The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Steering Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushy

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 22, 2006
Berlin, Connecticut
First off, I dont have powersteering.

Ok, When the car is on the ground, as you first turn the wheel, there is a creaking noise coming from the car. As you keep turning, the creaking stops. If you stop and start to turn again, the creaking starts, and so on.

When the car is off the ground, there are no noises at all.

I cant really tell if the sound is coming from both sides or in the middle (the rack). Has anyone else had this problem?>

Does it sound like a whining noise almost (but not high pitched)?

If so, then your power steering pump is going bad.

He said he did not have power steering...

Is the sound inside the car or outside? The balljoints on the steering rack do wear out over time, it is likely these balljoings making the noise.

what ya hear is the suspension bushing creaking. On the ground their is stress on ## suspension which puts stress on the bushings and rods. When you turn the wheels ## putting stress on the bushing which makes it creak. When u raise it off the ground u will not hear any creaking becuase u have taken the stress off your susupension. You can get a new bushing kit for the car.

kawboy said:
Yea, he edited that after I posted.... :|

No, I didnt edit it after you posted. Actually thats the first line I wrote.

I will also look into getting a suspension bushing kit for my car. Thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back