The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Steering noise.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihaterice

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
carterville, Illinois
When i turn the steering wheel on my car, it groans and squeeks. Same thing when i hit a bump. I have no idea what this could be. Any help would be appreciated.

Got to love these cars,
keegan :dsm:

Sounds like its just the bushings going bad in the suspension.

Yeah it sounds like a ball joint to me. If you have access to a drive on lift then have somebody in the car, lift it up, and have them turn the wheel side to side while it is sitting on the lift and put your hand on the ball joint to see if you can feel the noise I guess you would say. You will know what I am talking about if it is there. Make sure to have the wheels on the lift though or this might not work.

Wow that would be nice if it was just a recalled part. I will post more when i find out some more.

Most shops will check this for free to try and get the sale also. So just bring it to one get an estimate and if you think you can do it tell them you will have to make an appointment later.

I have a mechanic that should tell me for free. I have thrown thousands of dallors towrds him thanks to my GSX. He should do it for free.

If it is the lower ball joint will mitsu. just fix it or will they try to get out of it? Has any one ever done this recall before?

Depending on the dealership, they may just do it, but more than likely they will be hesitant.

Mine were replaced once before I purchased the car, then went bad again. I went to the dealership complaining about it (I could see the ripped boots) and heard the horrible turning noise. They looked at it and said they were fine (i.e. they threw some grease on it). The noise went away for a bit and I didn't look to make sure they swapped them out. Later on that week the noise came back. I jacked it up and saw that they didn't do anything but grease it up.

I drove into the dealership service bay and they declined to accept it until I got back in my car and started turning the wheel back and forth so everyone could hear it and started making a scene. After that, they replaced both sides, put gas in my car, and washed it for free. Just be firm with them, they are obligated to replace them if they are even suspected to be bad.

They said the recall was already done. They said there was nothing they could do. So sweet replace bad parts with more bad parts awsome job Mitsubushi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back