The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Squealing noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamtall77

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2002
Las Vegas, Nevada
This is for a 95 Talon AWD Auto

This has been going on for some time now. First I thought I just needed to change my tranny fluid, but that had no effect. I'm not convinced it's due to the tranny. Basically it sounds like the brake pad check device (little piece of metal scrapes against your rotor to let you know it's time to change pads). Stepping on the brake does nothing. It is deffinately speed related since it will make noise in any gear. It won't make noise until I go about 15mph. It doesn't go away until I come to a complete stop. It also sounds a little different when I'm slowing down. It sounds more like the tire is rubbing the indder fender plastic. It is a constant sound, does not oscilate or change unless speed changes. From inside the car it sounds more like electrical noise from a speaker, but instead of being engine speed related (like from the alternator) it builds with vehicle speed. It is most evident when I drive past a building or car and the sound can reflect off so I can hear it.

I know I've thrown a lot of things out there to try and diagnose, but I'm running out of ideas. I'm going to check the driveshaft carrier bearings and make sure it's not the brakes or anything rubbing on the driveshaft or other moving parts.

Id take of your Inspection plate on the bottom of the trans it could be scrapping or it might tell you what is scrapping if its your torque converter..

my .02
Jesse

Those sound like reasonable suspects, but neither would be vehicle speed related. It would be different if it was related to engine speed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back