The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Sputtering On Acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexycholo

Probationary Member
Jan 22, 2005
Manassas, Virginia
my 96 gst sputters when it hits 12lbs. it used to go to 16lbs. but now it dosent. when any of my gears hit 12lbs it sputters and feels like fuel cut. It back fires constantly like shit, once it hits 12lbs. i went to many shops they dont know shit. timing,compression, is perfect. All clamps are tight and vacums are all in place. everything is tight. does the same thing. IM STUCK< DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
I have:
255 walbro
greddy 3" turbo back
upper intercooler p/p
greddy blowoff valve
greddy fmic
8.5 mag spark wires
new plugs

I'd do a boost leak test. Visual boost leak tests do not count, hook an air compressor up to it and see what it looks/sounds like at 15-20 psi. You'd be suprised at all the holes and slits that can show up when you feed it some boost.

If that all checks out fine, it could be your 255 is over-running your fuel pressure regulator (assuming you don't have an aftermarket one). Either get a new FPR, or take the pump out and swap it for either your stock one or a 190 till you get a regulator.

just my .02

Has the fuel filter ever been changed? That covers poor performance. As for the boost, I too would check for leaks. With that much boost, what plugs are you currently running and gapped at?

ok i put the stock fuel pump. it felt a little better. but it still does the same thing at 12 psi. by the way i raced a prelude 2000 yesterday and i was sputtering and crap. and i could only press 3/4 of the acclerator so wouldnt sputter and wouldnt shoot up to 12 psi. i smoked his ass on 2 gear and left him in 3rd. i won 100 dollars. > im getting frustrated.

i have no boost controller on. b/c it would be worse if i did. boost is stock

did you check plugs, wires, and the fuel filter as stated above? it sounds like you are either starving it of fuel, feeding it too much fuel, or not getting spark, which definitely points to those things. just give the whole thing a good tune-up and see if that helps you out, alot of times you can see a huge difference from a tune-up. good luck

I agree with HSK. Try changing the spark plug wires. I know my car will feel like it wants to fall on its face if the wires are bad. And its unbelieveable how drastically the car will change in a few days time. One day it will fine and then drastically worse as the days go on.

Thanks Guys. It Was The Spark Plugs. The Shop Put The Wrong Ones. Dum Bastards. Lol. Yep Its Fixed Now Running Strong . Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back