The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

sputtering all of a sudden

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ateeb786

Probationary Member
May 5, 2008
Syracuse, New_York
My car started sputtering out the blue around 70mph when i was on the highway, i came home replaced the spark plugs (gapped .28), new wires, one coil which was one of the problems so I replaced that, had the o2 sensor replaced 3 months ago. The hesitation and sputtering is still there im getting low power. WHY all of a sudden? No boost leaks, it was running fine before.

I just did a compression test #1 170 #2 168 #3 000 #4 171
3rd cylinder was zero, i did a leak down test and it didnt do anything still on 0.
Any advise??...

Your motor gone. Piston gone cracked ring lands. Pull the head so you can asses the damage. You need to see if the cylinder wall is trashed. I have before just replaced the piston it one cylinder before. Alot would say dont do it but money was tight at the time and It was my dd at the time. I replaced the piston and got a head job done worked fine. If the cylinder wall is ok you might be able to do what i did. Unless you decide you want to to full rebuild that is up to.

I took the valve cover out and everything seemed fine everything rotates fine. I did the air test though the spark plug inlet and I got air coming from the intake not the exhaust, I rotate the cam and I got air from the exhaust not the intake I hate to say this but Im not to sure what this test does. I was told to do that but wasnt told the reason behind it. Im guessing the air coming from both are a good sign? I found something else, there is a hole in side the head by the 3rd exhaust manifold pipe and its leaking oil out the of the exhaust mani on top of the manifold, its very slow even with the exhaust bolt tight. I hope you guys know what Im talking about, Ill take pics and show you guys, Im not sure if that hole is supposed to be there.

Thats the pics.

Attachments

• Image026.jpg
    Image026.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Image0255.jpg
    Image0255.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 72
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back