The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

shifting problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aznlangjai69

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 15, 2003
vancouver, B.C._Canada
Lately I've been noticing that when my car shifts into gear say 2nd or 3rd, it jerks pretty hard. 2g NT auto here btw. Could it be the transmission fluid? Sometimes downshifting jerks too.

Your Auto shouldnt be downshifting, At least you shouldnt feal it downshifting. Are you flooring it when it shifts hard? or just normal Driving.

what kinda sucks about autos is, the oil thats in it right now ( if there is a problem) usualy is keeping the trans together. If you change the oil it might make it worse, or make it better, its a gamble.

The idea of not changing trans fluid because it's "holding the trans together" falls under the category of urban legend.

Although I'm sure that there are some that can site examples of transmission problems after a fluid change, the problems usually occur because the service was done improperly.

Also, keep in mind, many people will only change trans fluid if they feel that there is a trans problem- if the problem gets worse, they blame the fluid change.

A transmission service will usually not fix a trans problem, just like changing engine oil wont fix an engine problem. These services are maintenance- nothing more (for the most part).

In the old days (60's and 70's), the trans fluid that was available really wasn't very good. In addition to this, the older units would generate a lot of metal- even when they were working properly. When the fluid was changed, sometimes metal would come out of the places where it was accumulating and go into suspension in the new ATF. I suppose that there were times where it would stick a valve in the valve body and cause a problem.

I honestly have to say that in my 18 years in the transmission business, I can count on one hand the amount of times that I've seen a correctly performed fluid change legitimately cause a problem.

Just my .02

-John
Owner, import performance trans

Yea usually when I'm flooring it, it shifts hard. I can feel it downshifting. Went and investigate more yesterday and this is what i believe.

It goes into first at 1500rpm, then second at about 2500rpm, then third at about 3500rpm, then fourth at about 1000rpm. It's the third gear didn't play any part in the driving. Someone please prove me wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back