The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rough + High Idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLeMMeR

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2011
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Okay sooo here's my problem. Yesterday a friend and I tried to diagnose my car why it Idles so high (around 2000 it even jumped to 4000 the one time i started my car) its pretty bad. Anyways we unplug my TPS to see if it starts to run worse, in which all other cars do, and it continued to run the same. So we're basically thinking that its my Throttle Positioning Sensor.
Sometimes it idles fine, not nesseccarily when the car warms up but when it moves. After that it sometimes idles "okay" or just bounces in between 1 and 2 grand like its an IAC problem. I have a video if needed and not much description right now but ill update in a few. Thanks, any input in greatly appreciated.

Hello Kyle. Please be sure to complete the section of your profile as far as modifications go. By filling it out, it can help us further diagnose what your problem could and could not be. Not only now, but further down the road. As far as we can see now, your car is 100% bone stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the biss screw. also check for boost leaks. mine did the same thing and it was the throttle body seals.

Do not just start with adjusting your biss screw right off of the bat. There are further diagnosis that needs to be performed before you do. Adjusting your biss screw right away could solve the idle problem, but can be covering up the actual confliction.

As mentioned above, a boost leak test is in order. A well performed boost leak test. If that checks out, check your IAC motor. This could be carboned up and not working properly.

Hello Kyle. Please be sure to complete the section of your profile as far as modifications go. By filling it out, it can help us further diagnose what your problem could and could not be. Not only now, but further down the road. As far as we can see now, your car is 100% bone stock.

Sorry computer's been down for like 3 weeks and I just purchased the car at the end of June, list of mods somewhere; and it just started recently for about 2 weeks now out of nowhere. I'll be doing a boost leak test later this week and will be checking my IAC tomorrow (its more of a project car at the moment) There's a Idle surge guide around here ill search for it Tony's talon something. Anyways as we thought as of lately that it could be the TPS, places want 180$ to 240$ depending on where so ill deffinately be doing a thorough test before i spend that money. WTF First things first, and thanks for the BISS Screw suggestion all ideas are in the air right now. I'll be updating then.

Do not just start with adjusting your biss screw right off of the bat. There are further diagnosis that needs to be performed before you do. Adjusting your biss screw right away could solve the idle problem, but can be covering up the actual confliction.

As mentioned above, a boost leak test is in order. A well performed boost leak test. If that checks out, check your IAC motor. This could be carboned up and not working properly.

I wasn't suggesting to adjust it right off the bat, just asking if had been adjusted previously for the reasons you stated.

Might not be enough to cover the actual problem anymore.

Joel

I wasn't suggesting to adjust it right off the bat, just asking if had been adjusted previously for the reasons you stated.

Might not be enough to cover the actual problem anymore.

Joel

I didn't say you did. I just wanted OP to know he shouldn't mess with it just yet is all. I know you didn't say to. But, when it is brought up about adjusting it, it usually ends up getting adjusted before other places are looked into. No harm, no foul.

Hey guys, with a day of thunderstorms thought that it would be 10x easier if I pulled you guys into my world so you can see what I see so I made a video. Just came off of a long day doing an engine swap sorry if i mumble and hard to hear. Anyways here ya go
020.mp4 video by KClemmer - Photobucket

IAC's been cleaned and nothing changed so scratch that off the list.. Still need to do a boost leak test

Tired... But not sure if anyone recommended adjusting the TPS as it will affect idle majorly if it is out of range.

Please correct me of I am wrong..

1g = 10
2g = 1-2

Well it turns out my TPS is shot like we were thinking, thanks sniperwolf for the input too. Anyone know where I can get ahold of one for decently cheap? I'm going to need a 90-94 but advanced auto and Napa is pricing it at 180-240$ WTF.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back