The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Reverse gear slips/grinds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen2g

Proven Member
Jan 9, 2019
Winnipeg, MB_Canada
Recently got my 2g, havent gotten the time to dig into it as it is currently winter and its -1000000000 outside. But 1st all the way through 5th works perfectly, no slipping or popping out of gear.
Except reverse which likes to slip/grind if i keep reversing for more than 1 second. I basically have to engage reverse for 1 second before it slips/grinds then push the clutch in, and then engage it again.

Reverse idler is possibly junked up, that or possibly bad motor mounts are allowing the engine to move to far when your reversing and pulling on the cables and yanking itself out of reverse when you start moving.

Change your transmission fluid. If you just bought your car and you don't know when the last time it was changed then this would be the first place to start. Transmission fluid seems to make a big difference in these cars. Warming them up (to get the fluid moving) definitely helps as well. Right now I have Redline MT90 in mine and I'm switching it out to the Mitsu EVO MR fluid MIT-MZ320340. The Redline fluid when cold I can't even gate to reverse! Due to the cold in MA right now I have to wait for the transmission to warm up before it will let me engage it, and even then I have to gate to 2nd and 4th first before reverse decides to unlock its chastity belt.

Change your transmission fluid. If you just bought your car and you don't know when the last time it was changed then this would be the first place to start. Transmission fluid seems to make a big difference in these cars. Warming them up (to get the fluid moving) definitely helps as well. Right now I have Redline MT90 in mine and I'm switching it out to the Mitsu EVO MR fluid MIT-MZ320340. The Redline fluid when cold I can't even gate to reverse! Due to the cold in MA right now I have to wait for the transmission to warm up before it will let me engage it, and even then I have to gate to 2nd and 4th first before reverse decides to unlock its chastity belt.
Will def do this!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back