The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] Test Pipe Flange orientation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsx ftw

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2008
510/408, California
So I just bought this test pipe for my '99 GSX as a temporary way to free up some power before I get my DP.

eBay Motors: 95 96 97-99 ECLIPSE TURBO HIGH FLOW STRAIGHT TEST PIPE (item 150238994588 end time Apr-28-08 06:46:11 PDT)

Now I went over some forums and saw that the AWD and FWD flanges are angled differently. This would explain seeing the flanges that are in line with each other, and ones (like the one I bought) where it's a little bit offset.

Now, my question is, which test pipe did I buy? Is that set up for AWD, or FWD?

Or am I just completely wrong, and the flanges aren't a difference at all? Thanks.

Well, just had a peek under my car and it looks like the flanges line up with each other. I'm not 100% certain if I'll receive what's in that pic in the ad (hey, it is eBay after all) but I'm pretty sure I got the GST test pipe.

Does anybody know if the GSX flanges line up with each other? I can't walk into an exhaust shop with it on my car...first it doesn't fit...second I live in California...so yeah.

I figure I'll resell it, or go get the flange re-welded.

Anybody have any input? I'm not sure if I'm right or not.

The flanges on fwd cars and awd drive cars are different. The awd flange does angle because the eghaust is routed different (under the driveaxles instead of over the dead axle) an eghaust shop can reweld the flange in a short period of time just take it to them and tell them u want them to line up with each other.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess I'll have to go get that done after I get it. An extra 20 bucks, I guess.

Anybody have any other input?

Maybe I'll luck out and get one with flanges that line up :dunno:

If you have a freind with a welder they would probably do it for free also dont forget somtimes those ebay pics isnt of actual product always do the research before you buy and pay alot of attention to what cars the items are for (made some mistakes myself so dont feel bad)

i did this in the reverse order about 2 yeas ago i bought a turbo cat for a na car but it worked out the na cat is the one with the one flange angled differently turbos are in line with each other its just a quick cut and re weld job if it isnt it wont be to hard to fix took about an hour and the most timely part was getting the old pipe out of the flange

so a turbo pipe will fit fwd and awd

A turbo pipe will fit FWD AND AWD? As in, GST and GSX?

The ad just says "Eclipse Turbo Test Pipe," as do all the other test pipe ads on eBay. Nobody has posted about this problem in the feedback, nor anywhere on dsmtuners.

I was also under the impression that I could just get a sawzall and cut at the flange and have it rewelded. I realize it will be slightly shorter this way, but I'll just pull the cat-back my way...it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

My car was a n/a and my pipes flanges lined up also have the pipe from my turbo parts car and it lines up both being fwd cars i have done eghaust work on some awd cars and most all 1st gen awd's have the angled flange have worked on some 2nd gens that are the same as 1st gens im pretty sure the difference lies in fwd to awd i could be wrong seeing how mine is a first gen and thats what i mostly work with so dont quote me or anything

I understand what you're saying.

From what I've heard, as far as 2G's go, the difference is:

FWD: Flanges are offset from each other, holes on the flange do not line up.
AWD: Flanges are flush with each other perfectly, you could put one super long stud through both holes in the flanges.

So, if I do get the pictured test pipe, I'll have to go to the exhaust shop to have the flange re-angled.

If I get a test pipe with flanges that line up with one another, I can just bolt it right up to my GSX.

Am I right?

Thats posible...what you could do is look for some pics of a full exhaust for fwd and awd and compare the pipes....but from my experience the fwd pipes line up and awd are offset but like you said its not a hard thing to fix

heres a pic of a high flow turbo cat for a second gen AdvancedJDMParts.com - Performance Parts and Accessories - 95 96 97 98 99 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE TURBO HIGH FLOW CATALYTIC CONVERTER it doesnt say fwd or awd but notice the flanges line up so they cant b the same

heres a pic of an awd cat back http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-intake-exhaust/94023-bosal-3-stainless-catback.html

Well, I'll wait for somebody who's sure to post in this thread before jumping to any conclusions. Even then, I'll have to wait until I get the test pipe before I conclude anything.

I got an answer from the lister saying that the test pipe is "for FWD models."

I guess that answers that, either that or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back