The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

replacing rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defaced

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 8, 2004
New Haven, Indiana
hey, I'm in the process of changing my front rotors and pads. I've got the drivers side done, but I can't get the rotor off on the passenger side. It feels like it's stuck on there or something. I've tried tapping it w/ a rubber mallot but that's not doing any good. Anybody have some suggestions or have had this problem before?

if you are changeing them just hit is hard with a metal hammer

igopoopy said:
if you are changeing them just hit is hard with a metal hammer

sometimes the bolt/hole in the rotor sometimes doesnt work.

DO NOT HiT THE..... shyst... um. Bolts sticking out that the rim bolt onto..... DAMMIT.
Im going to bed after writing this post.

Anyways, DONT hit THOSE THINGS OR YOUR up Crap creek without a paddle.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

my stealth sucked while removing the rotors.

dont need 8 said:
There may be two threaded holes on the rotor that you can thread bolts into to force the rotor off.
There are two holes. I'm gonna give that a try. Just have to find some bolts to thread in there now...

I had to break out the sawzall and practically cut the rotor in two spots.....slice in, but not as far as the hub.....then wack with the sledge.

DiabloRT said:
I had to break out the sawzall and practically cut the rotor in two spots.....slice in, but not as far as the hub.....then wack with the sledge.
All that work just to get the rotor off? Jesus, I'm too lazy for that shit :laugh:

Just out of curiosity, why is the rotor stuck on there? Is it supposed to be like? Bec/ if it is, that's just stupid. Or does it get rusted on?

Rust mainly.

After I got them off, I ground the rust off the hubs..........mainly on the horizontal surface, not so much the vertical surface. Then I coated it with antiseize.

I worked on a 87 cavalier with ancient, totally screwed up rotors. But everytime you took the wheels off, the rotors would come off too. I still don't understand it, they were rusty as hell too.

Maybe GM was on to something...

simple fix for this stuck rotor problem beat the sh*t out of the rotor till it comes off never had to use screws, screws are for the lazy home mechanic or the chop that has to reuse the rotors because the customer is stupid and has them cut

Wasup my people..after so many weeks of hammaring, thread killin on those 2holes, and painful head scratching..i figured out how to take off STUCK ROTORS with eeeeeeeease.

I was gone put a picture of the procedure up..but oops i dont know how to put it up.

HEre is how its done...:

1-After takin off the Callipers ,
2-clean the groove where the rotor meet the Hub as much as you can..
3-spray your trusted penetrator and let sit for a few minutes
4-Take out one of your strut Nut and bolt
5-Hold the nut under the hole where the top Caliper holding bolt goes in(between rotor&knucke)
6-Thread the Strut bolt through the hole into the bolt on the other side
7-Place something hard (Knife blade works best)Between Bolt tip and rotor to avoid bolt diggin into rotor
8-Now tighten a few turns after contact
9-Release....rotate rotor few degrees and repeat tightening
0-Wallah......the rotor should start squeekin, crackling and fallin out.

Here si the picture
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

MrDee said:
Wasup my people..after so many weeks of hammaring, thread killin on those 2holes, and painful head scratching..i figured out how to take off STUCK ROTORS with eeeeeeeease.

Sorry I didn't see your post when you were having problems but the VFAQ uses the same procedure you described:

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BrakeRotors.html

I took a few of them off of some different cars and all I had to do if it got stuck was to hit it with a metal hammer between the studs, not on the friction surface. Try to make clean hits not to screw up studs' threads.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back