The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink Randomly breaking up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaintmaci

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 22, 2010
Washington, Pennsylvania
I have been trying to figure out this problem for a little while now. My car keeps breaking up when I got to accelerate or put it under a load.

I was looking at my logs and it seems to be randomly jumping the afrest from rich to lean when this happens. I am not sure if this is causing the break up or the breaking up is causing the wacky AFRs.

Did a boost leak test, and that seems fine. Checked all of my connections. Timing.

I am at a loss......

Attachments

• log.2013.03.29-07.elg
    78.9 KB · Views: 41
I was just wondering about that. I was debating whether it could be that or one of my coils going bad. Maybe I'll borrow the ones off of my buddies Talon and test it out.

What kind of wires are you using?

I doubt its the coil packs, but its a simple ohms test to find out.

As for wires, if yours are old, go buy stock NGK wires. They work great and are relatively cheap. I think I picked mine up from advanced auto for like $45.

I pulled my wires off and check the resistance in each one. They tested fine, I even misted water all over my coil packs and wires while the car was running. There was no arcing at all.
I ended up trying new wires, problem solved. It was breaking up only under load.

Right now I have a set of Magnecors that came on it. I know my friend has spare set that he changed when he thought he was having issues. Turned out he had other problems. I may try his first. He also has a spare set of coils. Mine was ghetto mounted with one tab and ended up bouncing around the engine bay at one point. (Gotta love P.O.s)

Right now I have a set of Magnecors that came on it. I know my friend has spare set that he changed when he thought he was having issues. Turned out he had other problems. I may try his first. He also has a spare set of coils. Mine was ghetto mounted with one tab and ended up bouncing around the engine bay at one point. (Gotta love P.O.s)

The magnecors are the same wires that caused me problem

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back