The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

question on fuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3kgt2nv

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 7, 2011
poughkeepsie, New_York
when doing a battery relocation with a cut off alot of people put an inline fuse to the alternator. all the write ups and videos show them using a 120-150 amp fuse but the stock alternator fuse is 80 amps. is there a reason people do this or is just overkill

Ok, thats what I figured. But, just wanted to make sure it wasnt because of extra amp draw due to cranking longer to start the car

Thanks, Was trying to think of every reason people might be using the larger than required fuse in that spot. I understand you want a certain percent above the output of the alternator for the fuse but I have found people using 250 amp fuses inline. That makes no sense to me. At 250 amps the alternator would never trip the fuse.

I always used 2awg wire with a 100amp breaker in line. Never tripped it. Never tripped stock alt fuses anyhow

True, I have never popped an alt fuse either but that is what they are there for is to provide a safe point of failure. Its why I couldnt understand the thinking behind a 250amp fuse. If an alt did over run and start cranking out say 150 amps it would fry all kinds of things and never even get close to popping the fuse

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back