The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Proper way to mount flexplate/TC/Trans, AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
I'm in the middle of swapping my FWD 5-spd, to an AWD auto. It just dawned on me that I have no idea what the process is to install the flexplate/TC/trans. Basically the order of install is what I need. Plus any tips to make this easier would be great!!

Thanks!

You need the adapter ring or whatever it's properly named, in the end of the crank, then the flexplate bolts to the crank (like a flywheel in a 5 speed car), then the torque converter bolts to the flexplate and goes onto the input shaft in the trans.

So, flexplate install, then TC to flexplate, then install trans. Sweet, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

I have to remove the crank dowel pin, and add the pilot bearing.

Also, don't let the trans be held up with the TC, or the pump is toast correct?

Ya got that backwards I think. Put the flexplate on the motor, then put the converter in the transmission, make sure it's seated all the way. IPT has a video of this by the way. The you bolt the motor to the trans. Last thing you do is put the converter to flex plate bolts in.

Did you have a link to the video??

They are stickey'ed in the auto section. I believe it's at the end of the valve body install vid.

Don't forrget to put a little lube on the torque convertor shaft before installing the convertor into the trans to avoid dry start up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back