The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Power Seat won't slide forward / backwards, found a plug under the seat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge

Probationary Member
Mar 6, 2021
Brazil, South_America
Hey everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this, my car just came back from the bodywork shop today and they had some issues with the car not starting, they got someone to work on the wiring and they were able to get the car running again, but after getting home I noticed the Power Seats no longer slide forward or backwards. The front and rear height adjustment still works fine, but the seat itself won't go forward or backwards. When the switch is pressed, it makes no noise, doesn't move an inch, like the motor went bad or it is disconnected. After looking under the seat, I found the following connector unplugged:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Both wires coming out of it are black.

Does anyone have any idea if this has anything to do with it? Even if it doesn't, where is this connector supposed to go? Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

It kinda seems like the motor may have been blown since the wires are black.
I've been taking a look at the wiring diagrams and it seems like double black wire means the ground afaik?

Also, the plug layout labeled as "4" looks a lot like it ... And guess where that plug comes from?

Yup, the slide motor, which is exactly the one that is not working in my case. However the wire colors don't match up at all which is quite weird ... I've been looking under the seat to try to find unplugged connectors but no luck so far. I did find both the connectors for the front height motor and rear height motors which had matching cable colors and matched the plug layout. Still a mystery to solve :/

Finally managed to fix it somehow. We removed the seat with a lot of effort to get to the screws under the rails, and analyzed the wiring. We found the other end of that plug I mentioned earlier and tested it but to no avail. We tested the motor connector with a multimeter to confirm it had no resistance, thus was not working at all. We were almost giving up when my father suddenly had the idea of giving the motor a few hard hits (he later explained why but I don't remember it rn) with the wrench. Guess what, that did the trick. We tested the connector again and it had resistance, and connected it to the car again and voila! The seat was sliding back and forth normally again. Absolutely unbelievable. If you're having the same issue as I did, try hitting the slide motor a few times before taking off the seats and having a hard time like we did, it might solve your problem as well :D

Both wires coming out of it are black.

Does anyone have any idea if this has anything to do with it? Even if it doesn't, where is this connector supposed to go?
That connector is for the seat belt buckle switch (if you follow it you'll see). Some people unplug it to disable the annoying seat belt warning buzzer when one is sitting in the seat.

The hitting the motor with a hammer sometimes works because the motor's commutator gets clogged up with its brushes carbon (or dirt) after it's used a lot. It's only a temporary fix and until the commutator is cleaned (internally) the problem will return. This trick is often used with a starter motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back