The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Found this wire/plug under my dash.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkiliketurbos

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 2, 2009
Appleton, Wisconsin
So I was under my dash and looked up and saw a plug not plugged in, grabbed for it. Sparks flew from a wire that wasn't hooked to anything. Checked it out and the wire mass went up towards the steering wheel. Circled in red is the plug, it looks like a 3 prong type plug. Circled in blue is the wire that scared the shit out of me when it shot sparks. Circled in bright green is another wire coming out of the plug with what looks like one of those wire connectors that you squeeze with a pliers to crush the metal conductor around the 2 wires going in. Any idea what this is?

Attachments

• connecter1.JPG
    connecter1.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 401
From what I can see of the tiny pic it looks like a turbo timer harness but I could be wrong.

Can you get the pic to be larger? All I can see ar ethe 3 circles and trhe white harness. Figuring out exactly where they are under the dash is impossible.

I tried to make it bigger and couldn't. The white plug has 2 wires coming from the steering column area into it and has 2 different wires coming out the top that aren't hooked up to anything. Not sure what it is at all. The harness that comes from the column looks factory too.

Could you take another pic and maybe put a trouble light on the floor to shed some more light on the subject? And take a pic with a different camera so you can make it larger. If I could see anything I could probably help you out cause I just got done with my steering wheel reinstallation and some other stuff under the dash. :thumb:

Here is a better pic. Don't mind the red connecter that is taped on the end of the one wire either, I did that because I ran out of electric tape.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 119
do the wires with the red cap & the clear cap come from the center area? If so I would guess they are hooked to the ecu.

The other does look like the clutch disable wire (can you start the car wiithout pressing in the clutch? Make sure it's in neutral!)

The wires are red and green leading to it.

Also, the 2 wires with the caps on them are coming from the plug. The wires leading into the plug come from the steering column area dn then on the same side of the plug the 2 wires with the caps come out of it. The plug end where you would connect something has 3 slots.

Check the cruise control connector at the steering wheel and check to see if your cruise control actually turns on because the plug is either that or for the clutch. They both are in the same area and look alike (clutch and cruise plug).

It is for the clutch. It is supposed to be taped to a harness under the dash near the steering shaft.

My turn for crappy pictures. You can see the white connector (kind of) near the connector in question in this pic. It is supposed to be taped to that harness.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 117
Looks like the clutch clip. Unplugged it allows you to start the car without pushing in the clutch. It is the clutch safety switch.

It is not plugged into anything on both of my cars and taped to that harness shown above, I untaped it from the harness in the car shown in the pic to show where it goes.

haa yeah i should, i do inspections all day at work its hard to see with the quality of the picture. But if it has 2 slots it is most likely the plug for the neutral safety switch for the clutch as stated above :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back