The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Passenger footwell noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyTsi

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2007
Renton, Washington
The car is making a somewhat unpleasant noise these days, as a description, car is making a rhythmic noise, seems to be sourcing from the passenger front footwell. It only appears to be audible when the car is in gear and under power, when out of gear or coasting I don't seem to hear it.
The noise matches in frequency with actual vehicle speed, not engine speed.

I have a recording that seems to be a relatively good capture if anyone wants to hear it:
http://sdrv.ms/17a91eC

Thoughts? I'm hoping to get some idea as to what's dying so I can get it replaced.

It's the "danger to manifold" and then the passenger foot well drops out for some unexplained reason..... LOL LOL LOL

Seriously though, I really didn't hear much from your recording, but based on your description about it changing with vehicle speed, I'm guessing a wheel bearing. Does it stop being noisy when you steer left or right around turns? :confused:

Ok, I just listened to it again, a little clearer this time. May not be a bearing, but as TSiAWD666 suggested, jack up your car and look for any signs of anything out of place. While you have it up, try to wiggle your tire/wheel. Hold it on the top and bottom and wiggle it in and out. If there's play, you need a ball joint. Then hold it on the left and right, and wiggle it left to right, if it wiggles, you need a wheel bearing.

Wheel bearing, carrier bearing, differential bearing, output shaft bearings, tcase bearings, take your pick. Those are all things that match vehicle speed. I know you said that it sounds like it's coming from the passenger footwell, but sound direction gets seriously distorted underneath the car. I'd check all four corners.

Finally got it up on the lift, wheel bearings are fine, axles look good, looks like the only leak is oil coming from the banjo bolt on one of the turbo feed lines.

Sound appears to be coming from around the axle shaft area on the passenger side, I'm guessing it's the output shaft and I need a new transmission?

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back