The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

oil pump gash

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fehrion_sit

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2009
chalfont, Pennsylvania
i got my front case/ oil pump off today while doing my BSE kit and i found a small gash in the oil pump sprocket bore that im not sure would be warrant for a new case. i just wanted to get some expert opinions. :confused:

Attachments

• circle 1.jpg
    circle 1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012-07-21 19.07.01.jpg
    2012-07-21 19.07.01.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2012-07-21 19.07.25.jpg
    2012-07-21 19.07.25.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 39
I wouldn't be too concerned with that. Mine had a couple small gouges in the bore area and my side clearance was just barely in spec. It has been running for 4 years now at 8-9k and I have helical gears not straight ones like you. My oil pressure is great! A little too much for my Holset ;) Get a magnetic oil drain plug!

good to hear! do you know the side clearance spec for straight gears by chance? i wont have access to all data till monday and i was hoping to put it back together tomorrow!

My unexpert opinion is that if your oil pressure was ok before than it's probably ok to put it back. Some trash probably got in there and got caught in the oil filter. If they make a oil pump rebuild kit than I would use it. It appears that the bushing for that idler oil pump gear can be replaced. OEM oil pumps are not cheap.

Hey My1GLaser..... when reattaching the oil pump rear to the main case, should i use a sealer? how about the bolts, locitite? i have subi bond which would be applied in a 1-2mm layer and then put the case together. i did use an abbresive very lightly i was careful to only clean the surface not destory it.

Thats a dry mating surface on the oil pump to front case. I would loctite every bolt on that housing, and also when you bolt the front cover back onto the engine make sure you torque them properly and loctite everything, expecially if you have the bs removed. Make sure you use a gasket on the front case though, and a new main seal while your at it.

You don't use sealer. They are machined surfaces. Anything in there will change the side clearance as well. I used loc tite on mine. I don't have the FSM in front of me and I don't remember what it says about loc tite.

I never used any RTV on the front case gasket either. A little copper spray would probably be fine...I do put a small amount of Ultra Grey RTV on the outside of all rotational seals before I press them into their respective housings.

unrelated, should i port my oil filter housing, the forward balance shaft should still maintain pressure. someone told me to turn it to a specified time to defiantly block the oil ports? that doesn't sound right to me as the machined surface the bearing rides on is a full circle. thoughts ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back