The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apckofllamas

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2012
Wellington, Ohio
I was on my way home and my oil light came on so right away i turned my car off and pulled over. i take a look and theres all my oil over the ground. im not sure exactly where its leaking from.:confused:

Attachments

• 20121109001333 (1).jpg
    20121109001333 (1).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 40
Did you just change your oil filter? Possible someone didnt get the other gasket from the old filter? If not you need to chase the leak further up the block. Hard to tell from your pic sorry.

Looks like the stud for the oil cooler has backed out. This is real common. Pull the filter and see if the stud is loose. If so than it will need to be re torqued. Loctite will help keep it tight. It is possible that you have some internal damage to the engine now also.

Also I had the huge bolt that the oil filter screws come out on me. I think it was a 23mm deep well to tighten it up.
Thats what bryan is talking about.
OP the oil filter screws onto the oil cooler housing. The piece the filter actually screws onto can loosen as it is a stud that screws into the housing. DO NOT overtighten this stud. The entire housing is an oil cooler and if you overtighten it you will crush it and mix oil and coolant.

im going to have to check it out after work which is 13 hrs from now, i really hope i dont have any internal damage done to the engine because i just bought this car two months ago.

it appears that stud has backed out, i cant seem to find any loctite laying around in the garage of course when i need it its nowhere to be found LOL. thank you guys for all the help i really do appreciate it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back