The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil in exhaust ports

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverEclipse96

Banned Member
Jul 17, 2004
chi, Illinois
Im finding oil in the exhaust ports.

I replaced the intake valves because the belt slipped and bent them. When I installed the new valves I reseated them but did not change the valve guide seals.

Can this be a valve guide seal problem?

When I was replacing the valves I noticed that the intake valve guides had hair line cracks. I ignored it because they were about 2-3mm long hairline

Did you pull and inspect the exhaust valves when you did the intake side? Every head i have seen that the belt jumped usually has some on both sides that hit. aAnd any crack hairline or no can cause an oil leak. Also check your valve stem seals as that is a leaking point on these cars. a set of new seals is fairly inexpensive. if you have to open the head again anyway i would change them anyway.

this is what mine looked like with bad valve guides .
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I pulled my head to replace my valve seals and on number one cylinder i could litterally wiggle my valve around after i pulled the retainer and spring. A socket with a small sledge works great for getting the retainers out but for getting them back in I got the valve spring compessor tool from advanced autoparts that looks like a big c clamp. i had to cut up a slot in a 3/4 inch socket to put them back in but the tool is so easy to use. definitly worth the 70 bucks or you can get it as a loaner tool. picture of said tool..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are all your exhaust ports filled with oil? How long did you drive the car with the bad valve guide?

All my exhaust ports have a little of oil. I am thinking I should probably check the intake ports to see if they are also leaking.

The car does not smoke on start up but after it's warm you can smell the oil out of the exhaust. If I hit the accelerater after it's been idling for a while it will shoot out a puff of smoke.

That is a classic sign of it needing valve stem seals.

If the intake valve guides were bad wouldnt the car smoke on start up since the oil would fall into the combustion chamber?

Regardless I am going to replace the seals with gsc blue viton. They are like 17shpd. I just hope it's the valve stem seals and not the valve guides.

you said you saw hair line cracks on your valve guides well that isn't good . you should try to find another head or have that one fixed .

Mine ran fine all day as long as i kept it in vacuum for the most part. as soon as i had to pull onto a highway and it got above 10 psi of boost then it would smoke like a pig until i shut the car off or sometimes if i boosted it again. my valve seals were only 3 years old at most but when i pulled my old head i had an assortment of different valves. some stock, some one offbrand and some another offbrand. i guess thats what i get for not rebuilding my stock motor. i had just bough the car and didnt know much about it. im assuming at one point the rebuilt motor i bought had a bent valve or 2 at some point. i managed to score a good head with hks 264/272 cams, hks valve spring, 3g lifters and a mild port job on a sunday night at like 9pm off craigslist. dude didnt know what he had and only wanted 200 for it. It was so fresh there was still assembly lube in some spots.. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back