1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Ohio guys who have echeck... will it pass emissions?

Posted by pneumagger, Sep 28, 2009

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. pneumagger

pneumagger Probationary Member

Joined Sep 13, 2009
    St. Pete Beach, Florida
    I recently found out that that the complete mess of vacuum stuff cluttering up my engine bay is mostly emissions stuff.
    Which means that I'd like to remove it so I can avoid future boost/vacuum leaks and clean up the engine bay a little bit.
    I know some lines are still required but I'd like to remove everything non essential (egr, fp solenoid, etc...).

If I remove everything non essential for driving, will I pass ohio echeck?
    It's a 1992 OBD1 car with AWD and in the past I think they just idled it. I know they check for the cat too.
    Do they do an engine bay inspection? will they even know if I pulled all that crap from the engine bay? Will I fail emissions output?

2. projecteclipse2

projecteclipse2 Proven Member

Joined Mar 18, 2009
    330, Ohio
    i believe they test brakes, give your car a sniffer check, exhaust check (check for muffler, cat, etc)
    but the good old seafoam trick should help you out on the sniffer

375  0

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    99.999 @ 1.222 · 1G DSM
  3. pneumagger

Joined Sep 13, 2009
    St. Pete Beach, Florida
    Yes, I know they'll do lights, cat/muffler visual, and idle sniff testing. I wonder if they're allowed to look under the hood?
    I know the cat helps emissions a TON and they do look for it so I'll have that installed for the test.
    But seriously, how much can something like a charcoal can, egr, or fpr solenoid help emissions?!?
    It's like a 1/2" pipe recirculating ehxaust gas. :hmm: Not to mention you have all those vacuum hoses (potential boost leaks).

4. timm98gst

timm98gst Proven Member

Joined Nov 11, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    they don't look under the hood - even if they did, i doubt that any of them would know what's missing

5. pneumagger

Joined Sep 13, 2009
    St. Pete Beach, Florida
    Does your eclipse pass echeck? I'm assuming you've done away with all that crap?
    Looks like a pretty slick ride :)

6. talonalex92

talonalex92 Proven Member

Joined Apr 20, 2006
    Akron/330, Ohio
    If your in akron, they arent going to test lights, they wont do anything but sniff at idle since your awd, test your gas cap and send you away. Anyone who says other is wrong. They scan your vin, you get out, they pull your car forward onto the rollers (if fwd), check for a catacalysmic device, visual CEL inspection and idle rev the shit out of it for the sniff. Pull forward, and test cap. End of story. I got lucky, I passed with no cat, 3" TBE, and all emissions off. OBD2 AWD FTW.

1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. projecteclipse2

projecteclipse2 Proven Member

Joined Mar 18, 2009
    330, Ohio
    Im gonna be lucky if my car passes e-check when its done my mk4 jetta barely passed and all it has is a swiss cheesed air box and after market cat.

375  0

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    99.999 @ 1.222 · 1G DSM