The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

not holding charge, now no start...2g 6bolt awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manny correa

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2007
chicago, Illinois
ok so heres the deal. i searched but really couldnt come up with anything by the way... i picked up a 96 tsi awd with a 6bolt swap about a month ago. the car was running very good! but when i purchased the car, the previous owner didnt have any timing belt covers on! (top or bottom) so a couple days later i pick up a 6bolt timing cover set. and told myself "why not change out the shady looking timing belt, and b-shaft belt with oem parts while i was there.." so i did.

i then also went ahead and installed my black complete interior conversion including dash.(will explain in a few, why this could be a culprit to a problem i might have) so i finish up and start the car.. no problems. i drive the car for 3 days fine. i then parked it for another 3days without starting it, while we had a snowstorm. it had gotten really cold here those 3days. so on the 4th day i go out to start it and no juice.( dead battery) i picked up an optima red top dirt cheap and threw it in. she started right up. but overnite it lost its charge again! something is draining the battery but i dont know what it could be:cry:(could something have happened while i swapped the dash? everything seemed fine..) i have no sounds or stereo before any one asks. i charge the optima and try it again 1 more time an now the motor cranks but doesnt start at all! seems like its not getting fuel or spark. what gives?

my buddy said it could be the cas, or the mpi relay. the car also has dsmlink but with no tune.(its just there to invert the cas for the 6bolt in a 2g "random misfire") do i have to re-setup dsmlink or something? please help me out. my dsm has been down to long cause of this.:( i appreciate the help guys! thanks

and sorry for the long post.. just wanted to be exact with everything.

I would start by getting a volt meter and checking all fuses(pulling them out one by one and checking the fuse block leads) with a good battery and see if any are pulling power that should not be pulling power with the car off. Also check all other sources of sensors, lights and any thing else that consumes power, with the car off. it is a long pain in the ass proccess but you will find you problem this way. also check to make sure all connections are tight with the battery, starter and alternator. both positive and negative. could be something as simple as a loose ground wire.

yea im hoping to attack it tomorrow! :( sucks not having a garage to work in... thanks for the post. anybody else have any idea as to why it wont start tho? im hoping to find someone in the area that would let me slap a stock ecu in the car to see if it starts...

Testing with a voltmeter is going to be your best way to determine if it's an electrical problem. Maybe check from one post on the battery to the clamp on the other post of the battery to see if you have a good connection there.

remove fuse from power door lock when really cold outside this system drain u battery like creazy .
same happen like on u car everything working fine and someday
with winter condytion when i lock car temp outside like 37F and overnight going below 30F my battery is dead i try find WTF long time and never find i check on my car everything no idea why on winter time central lock drain battery replace solenoid and nothing change . just when i remove fuse from power door lock car stay sometime 2 week and battery never dead. maybe i have ghoust inside door ???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back