The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

no cylinder combustion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My1GLaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2006
Bartow, Florida
I have included a pic of 2 of my spark plugs. The left is a good cyl, the right is problem cyl #3. Here is the info I know about cyl #3. 158 psi compression. I can hear the inj clicking when the car is running. There is 11.78v on one terminal of the inj harness and 12.26 on the other terminal. (key on, engine off) The resistance across the injector is 2.8 ohms. The spark plugs and wires are new. The plug wire sparks with the engine running when disconnected from the plug and the plug fires when it is connected to the wire. The reason I am doing this test is because I cannot get my base idle high enough and the car sounds and drives like a VW bug. (Timing is 5deg btdc) I was doing a compression test to check everything after the test drive (it idled for 30 min and I drove it 2 miles) and noticed that one of my plugs did not look like the rest. So I reconnected everything and fired up the car and when it was idling I pulled off the plug wire from cyl 3 and the car didn't even flinch. No idle change...NOTHING.
My question is, with all voltage and resistance being correct can the fuel injector just not be spraying fuel? I am running an Aeromotive fpr at 38psi and the rail has been off and cleaned. New fuel filter, fuel feed line, 255 hp walbro, o rings (rail and inj). So I do not have a leak or a fuel feed issue. I need a new turbo, so I will be upgrading my injectors anyway. I just want to make sure all this voltage corresponds to a working injector system, so I dont have this problem when I put in my new inj & turbo.

Attachments

• My car 102a.jpg
    My car 102a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 101
I agree with the above reply your injector may be clogged.

You can sit the rail w/ injector on the valve cover pointing straight out into the air and crank the car several times to observe if this injector is working or not.

This coil resistor you speak of... is it the shiny silver rectangular box on the firewall that goes to the injectors? If so, then I will test it tonight or tomorrow and see if it is good. I will also double check that I really hear that injector clicking. These are used injectors off ebay, so I don't doubt it could be clogged. I am upgrading to an Evo III 16g or an 18g this week, so I have to get some 650s anyway. Any comments on the plug on the right? No CEL, but I could still have a code not triggering the light. I don't have a diag tool, so I will have to find a way to retrieve any codes.

I am having the same EXACT problem with my evo 8.
I have changed the coils and also swaped the injectors and it changed nothing.
is the resistor pack the same on the dsm vs the evo?
i swaped that also and got the same result.

let me know if you find the problem.
my next set is to pull the head.
my problem started after a nasty backfire after 2step launch
it now sounds like a wrx at idle and seems ok under boost or any load

YES!!! It was the injector. It must have been clogged internally b/c it had no signs on either end of cloggage. I had another set of 450s and I just swapped one in there and presto, she lives... Tsimiz I wish you the best of luck. You should check the voltage on the harness side of the injector with the key on, engine off and make sure you get about 11.9 on one and about 12.4 on the other(whatever your battery voltage is). I am sure a wiseman knows the exact way to do this, but that was enough for me to troubleshoot the problem. Good Luck.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back