The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Need help with 1g spoiler install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red_EcliPzE_GsX

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2002
Irving, Texas
Hello everyone, recently the middle section of my 3 piece spoiler on my 1990 gsx has come loose and slipped off. I’ve noticed some broken clips, and missing hardware on the body of the car itself where the spoiler locks into place.

Looking at the replacement middle section, all clips are intact and not broken which is good news. But I noticed there are 2 mounts where it seems a screw or bolt of some kind seems to go from underneath the hatch.

My question is does anyone know the size/length of these 2 bolts? I feel like these are the main 2 bolts that really secure the middle section spoiler to the car. These were also missing on my broken one that probably explains why it has started to slip off.

See my pictures for reference.

Thanks

Attachments

• 80B79D8E-EF64-4202-8C53-108FDD6D6728.jpeg
    80B79D8E-EF64-4202-8C53-108FDD6D6728.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 415C3F8D-F646-4FA9-96CB-0896468EB8C8.jpeg
    415C3F8D-F646-4FA9-96CB-0896468EB8C8.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 125
... the middle section of my 3 piece spoiler on my 1990 gsx has come loose and slipped off. I’ve noticed some broken clips, and missing hardware on the body of the car itself where the spoiler locks into place.

Looking at the replacement middle section, all clips are intact and not broken which is good news. But I noticed there are 2 mounts where it seems a screw or bolt of some kind seems to go from underneath the hatch.

what is the procedure to remove the middle section of the 3 piece spoiler? i removed the two screws you are missing and circled in your photos. I am also observing what appear to be 4 clips which hold the spoiler to the hatch. i tried to pull/slide the spoiler away to the back of the car without lifting the spoiler as not to break any clips etc. but it hardly moved. Is there a trick to it? Since your spoiler slipped off just like that, i presume not much pulling force is required so i wonder if there's some kinda "trick manoeuvre" to take it off ...

furthermore, mine is 1994 talon and the spoiler is not as wide.. i dont have a hole in it for the rear wiper arm as you do... plus my spoiler sits on three pillars... perhaps your spoiler is attached differently ...?

Last edited:
what is the procedure to remove the middle section of the 3 piece spoiler? i removed the two screws you are missing and circled in your photos. I am also observing what appear to be 4 clips which hold the spoiler to the hatch. i tried to pull/slide the spoiler away to the back of the car without lifting the spoiler as not to break any clips etc. but it hardly moved. Is there a trick to it? Since your spoiler slipped off just like that, i presume not much pulling force is required so i wonder if there's some kinda "trick manoeuvre" to take it off ...

furthermore, mine is 1994 talon and the spoiler is not as wide.. i dont have a hole in it for the rear wiper arm as you do... plus my spoiler sits on three pillars... perhaps your spoiler is attached differently ...?

Oof, I know for sure the middle section of the 3 piece spoilers look different for sure from the 1gb talons and the 1ga/b eclipse gsx's, so I'm only assuming they may possibly be mounted differently?

But to answer your question, other than the 2 bolts that hold it down from the inside of the hatch, the rest of it kind of grips into place with the about 6 or so clips. No trick to it really I kind of just began to pull/tug at it towards me and it came off.

Sorry this isn't more helpful, hopefully someone with a 1gb talon can chime in and help!

Oof, I know for sure the middle section of the 3 piece spoilers look different for sure from the 1gb talons and the 1ga/b eclipse gsx's, so I'm only assuming they may possibly be mounted differently?

But to answer your question, other than the 2 bolts that hold it down from the inside of the hatch, the rest of it kind of grips into place with the about 6 or so clips. No trick to it really I kind of just began to pull/tug at it towards me and it came off.

Sorry this isn't more helpful, hopefully someone with a 1gb talon can chime in and help!
thanks.. i did manage to get the spoiler off with much difficulty and managed to chip/break couple clips. my clips are part of the spoiler so not easily replaceable... see pic below:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good to hear man! But oh yeah that DEFINITELY looks different from my eclipse. It seems theres even embedded grooves into the hatch itself where your mounting points go? It that could just be the dust rings. Either way glad you were able to get it off!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back