1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G M/T - tire size difference ?

Posted by dgdsm, May 14, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. dgdsm

dgdsm Supporting Member

Joined Aug 24, 2008
    Tarzana, California
    What are the consequences of running different tire sizes on an M/T vehicle? What I have is an F5M31 (4G64), and currently there is a 205/55/16 on the front driver side wheel and a 205/60/16 on the front passenger side wheel. It's quite a large difference according to the tire size calculator. I can't figure out the answer to this question from everything that's out there.

Street Build 1K  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. d1prospect

d1prospect Proven Member

Joined Mar 14, 2004
    Glen Bunie, Maryland
    One is a taller tire then the other.

Drag Race Build 3K  15

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Well the tires will always be turning at different speeds so the differential will always be compensating for it. It may cause some premature wear. I would try to keep the front tires the same if at all possible.

4. dgdsm

dgdsm Supporting Member

Joined Aug 24, 2008
    Tarzana, California
    I assume you mean premature wear on the differential components in the transmission? If so I'm wondering how bad the stress on it would be, or if it's ok to leave it like that for a few months. I've always had minor noise symptoms going into 1st and 2nd gear and it's gotten a little worse in the past yr.

Street Build 1K  3

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I don't think this would have much of an impact on the tranny and or diff. if it is stock. You should have an open diff which only tries to send power to one tire at any give time (almost always). But I'd also think you'd have horrible driving & handling issues with the different size tires up front.

6. silvreclips

silvreclips Proven Member

Joined Jul 19, 2005
    Greenville, South Carolina
    That's true, the open diff is made to make up the difference in speed between the front wheels. However, the spider gears are spinning on a hardened pin and not a bearing so if it's constantly spinning on that shaft, it's possible that it could cause some wear on that pin.

7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    The differential is designed to take up small rotational changes, not constant. I would get the same sized tires on the car asap, in the front at least.

Street Build 95  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

226  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 739  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 938  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM