The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Looking for someone to help out a noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepsouthwrx

Probationary Member
Jun 2, 2010
Clinton, Mississippi
So I've gotten in over my head with my 90 tsi, when I bought it it had a blown head gasket. So in some delusion I decided to buy a new motor (old one had 200k, new one is built up), swap from manual to auto, buy a huge turbo and all the goodies that go with it. So now I've got the old engine out, new engine basically put together minus timing belt and a few odds and ends.

I've come to the realization I have no idea how to proceed, so if anyone is feeling generous could you shoot me a pm with a few tips? :pray:

Thanks.

If you don't have a Haynes Book I would definitely suggest getting one. It'll be the best $20 you spend.

Everything on the new engine torque down to proper specs? What kind of timing belt did you get? What exactly is a built engine stock rebuild or performance? What are your goals for the car?
If you're doing a manual swap then and be a good idea to get a 3g master cylinder now. If you put a big turbo on there without tuning then you're just going to blow up your car I would wait to hold off on that. You need to build the NA aspects of your cars before you go slapping a big turbo on it.
If you're going to B tuning yourself you need to get a tuner whatever you want and learn how to tune in a stock set up before you tune in a big turbo setup.

And by all means a built engine doesn't mean that all your hoses and electric and is transmission is fine. Make sure your wheel bearings alignment tires and everything else like those little things are good before you start speeding up.

Everything on the new engine torque down to proper specs? What kind of timing belt did you get? What exactly is a built engine stock rebuild or performance? What are your goals for the car?
If you're doing a manual swap then and be a good idea to get a 3g master cylinder now. If you put a big turbo on there without tuning then you're just going to blow up your car I would wait to hold off on that. You need to build the NA aspects of your cars before you go slapping a big turbo on it.
If you're going to B tuning yourself you need to get a tuner whatever you want and learn how to tune in a stock set up before you tune in a big turbo setup.

And by all means a built engine doesn't mean that all your hoses and electric and is transmission is fine. Make sure your wheel bearings alignment tires and everything else like those little things are good before you start speeding up.
I trust the person I bought it from that the internals are up to specs, Its an AE timing belt, also have a built auto tranny with a 3900 stall, 2 wal 55s, good fuel rail, other than the drive train is stock, im just trying to get it running atm, if your interested I can send you a full parts list.

I trust the person I bought it from that the internals are up to specs(mostly just forged eagle stuff), Its an AE timing belt, stock tranny with a 3900 stall (again im must trying to get it running), 2 wal 55s, good fuel rail, other than that the drive train is stock, im just trying to get it running atm, if your interested I can send you a full parts list.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back