The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Laser badge change??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ae92TRD

Probationary Member
Nov 6, 2003
WashingtonUS
Do you guys think it would be stupid to remove all the badges off a 1g Laser Turbo and replace them with mitubishi eclipse GS-T emblems? I'm just not a huge fan of plymouth's and i hate the name
"laser", sounds all 80's. Anyways, whats your opinion?
Thanks,
James

Stock DSMs are fairly quick. My Laser ran 14.9@94mph with no mods. It had a K&N air filter...which trust me, is NOT a mod. When I first put it on I was like "cool I have started modding". Now 3 years later I realize what REAL mods are. They are definitely fun cars.

Plain and simple... if you tell someone who knows what a dsm is that you own a "laser" the first thing they'll ask is turbo or n/t? second is awd or fwd? If you tell someone that doesn't know what a dsm is that you own a laser, they are like "WTF is that?"

I have all 3 dsms at my house, and y'know.. I like my tail lights better than the rest. Talon's have better front bumpers IMO, look really good with FMIC. I just really hate the stock mesh wheels that came on most of the Lasers.

Thoughts on de-badging/changing badges, I'd rather take everything off, then put DSM on the left side of the rear bumper and 4G63 on the right. Which is actually my plan when my car gets repainted.

Originally posted by LAZPNO
Plain and simple... if you tell someone who knows what a dsm is that you own a "laser" the first thing they'll ask is turbo or n/t? second is awd or fwd? If you tell someone that doesn't know what a dsm is that you own a laser, they are like "WTF is that?"

I knew that Laser = Eclipse = Talon, before I knew what DSM was.

I'm looking for a Renault badge for mine.
They'll never know what hit them.....
Kia badge would work, too

Yeah, at first i wasn't too sure about the look, sort of resembled an old ford probe or 240 sx in a way, but the more I look at them the more I like them, they're sorta growing on me. I can't wait till it gets out of detailing, I'm just hoping it doesn't have a shit load of miles.:laser:

Not to sound full of myself, but check out my gallery and see exactly how nice a Laser can be. (here's a hint though, I used talon bumpers and ground effects) People always tell me they've never seen a laser as nice as mine, one time an old lady came up to me at work and asked me what kind of fancy car I was driving because she had never seen one before. :thumb:

i debadged my talon, and smoothed out the front emblem(which is removable, and has a super shiny under cover thingy) Then since my name is colton, i put a colt emblem in the back, but i took it off recently. Some kid saw it and i watche dhim go "Colt" WTF. Kid was a ricer to and it made me feel good to make him feel soo stupid.

He probably thought you were the ricer for having the wrong badge on your car. Rice is subjective, and not worth even mentioning.

Originally posted by TwoLiterV8Eater
Not to sound full of myself, but check out my gallery and see exactly how nice a Laser can be. (here's a hint though, I used talon bumpers and ground effects) People always tell me they've never seen a laser as nice as mine, one time an old lady came up to me at work and asked me what kind of fancy car I was driving because she had never seen one before. :thumb:

That's EXACTLY what I plan on doing. Have bumpers and ground-effects sitting in the attic. :D

Very very very very nice. :thumb:

He probably thought you were the ricer for having the wrong badge on your car. Rice is subjective, and not worth even mentioning.

I totally agree. But i told him the emblem was just my name... and he still didn't know what kind of car it was.

Aovsi: Thanks, good luck with your project. :)

Drifte: Ah ok that makes sense now, but I'm still glad you took the Colt badge off the car.

What do you people think about "boost inside" emblem on the front Talon vented center piece, instead of the Eagle emblem? It's a little silly, but the Eagle emblem is missing and makes the car look somewhat "incomplete" or something.

I definitely don't want it to be saying Eagle, since it's a Laser.

Salesman said it would be out of detail on Monday, I went there today to get some general info on it and the damn thing is sitting there in the lot looking all perdy. So i start checking it out before a salesman comes out to flip me shit. Its a 1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo FWD, 5-Speed, 140,000 miles, stock TDO5H turbo with no aftermarket parts on engine except some kind of DTM chrome muffler. Its electric blue in color with black trim and has all the badges and "turbo intercooler" stickers still on it. All trim is there and paint looks good. One or two small bubbled areas one inch in diameter where there will be rust in the future behind drivers side door, but not bad. Inside is very clean and is grey, no burns or rips from what i could see. Viper alarm remote sitting in center console so apparently t has an alarm. no cracks or chips in glass that i could see, didn't appear to be tinted. Crack on bottom of front bumper on drivers side front about 2" long. Stock turbo mags wrapped in nice newer tires, i forget the name. No cracks or breaks in headlights, taillights, cornerlights. All stock clean instrument panel with old school Pioneer casette deck. Doesn't appear to be abused or mistreated from what i can tell, but then again I haven't heard it run yet. I talked to the guy after i checked it out and he said it runs great, but not like he's gonna tell me it runs like shit, but I'm pretty confident. All seems well aside from the small bubbled area and crack in front bumper. Sticker on window said $2300, advertised on sale in paper for $1695:thumb:
The lot was closing as i got there so I'm going in Tuesday with my truck so I can test drive the beast and probably trade my truck for it.:laser:

Originally posted by ae92TRD
Salesman said it would be out of detail on Monday, I went there today to get some general info on it and the damn thing is sitting there in the lot looking all perdy. So i start checking it out before a salesman comes out to flip me shit. Its a 1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo FWD, 5-Speed, 140,000 miles, stock TDO5H turbo with no aftermarket parts on engine except some kind of DTM chrome muffler. Its electric blue in color with black trim and has all the badges and "turbo intercooler" stickers still on it. All trim is there and paint looks good. One or two small bubbled areas one inch in diameter where there will be rust in the future behind drivers side door, but not bad. Inside is very clean and is grey, no burns or rips from what i could see. Viper alarm remote sitting in center console so apparently t has an alarm. no cracks or chips in glass that i could see, didn't appear to be tinted. Crack on bottom of front bumper on drivers side front about 2" long. Stock turbo mags wrapped in nice newer tires, i forget the name. No cracks or breaks in headlights, taillights, cornerlights. All stock clean instrument panel with old school Pioneer casette deck. Doesn't appear to be abused or mistreated from what i can tell, but then again I haven't heard it run yet. I talked to the guy after i checked it out and he said it runs great, but not like he's gonna tell me it runs like shit, but I'm pretty confident. All seems well aside from the small bubbled area and crack in front bumper. Sticker on window said $2300, advertised on sale in paper for $1695:thumb:
The lot was closing as i got there so I'm going in Tuesday with my truck so I can test drive the beast and probably trade my truck for it.:laser:

Good price for $2300. It probably says in the paper $1695 with trade-in? Show them $2,000 or less in cash and tell them that's all you have.

Can you check if the turbo wheel has any free-play? More than 1mm side-to-side shaft play is generally not acceptable. (but this IS a 13 year old car)
And if they would to a compression check right in front of you? (Takes only few minutes, I don't see how that's a problem)

It just says $1695, the guy said he'd have to see my truck. It'll take too long to sell my truck and the car will probably be gone, so im just gonna try to trade, even though my truck is worth more.

140k shouldn't matter :p i have 130k and going strong except for a screwed up actuator that has my WG stuck open so right now i'm at n/t speeds :cry: but it pulls like it has 8k when the turbo was working right. :).. You'll like it owning. I Love my laser, expect 1st and 2nd gear :p Damn FWD, but 3rd and 4th make up for the wheel spinnage :thumb: :laser:

It's not $1695 trade in, it's just plain 1695. If i showed them 1500 cash they'd take it almost gauranteed. I just can't sell my truck within the next few days...

Originally posted by ae92TRD
It's not $1695 trade in, it's just plain 1695. If i showed them 1500 cash they'd take it almost gauranteed. I just can't sell my truck within the next few days...

Show them the cash. Don't show them the truck. If turbo is blown or anything, buy a better replacement. That car is worth about $2,500 according to kbb (dealer price), if the turbo is not blown. :)

Of course drive it first and try to get a compression check. Check out any other problems.

Good luck with the Laser man. I paid 1200 for mine with a new engine and perfect cosmetically!
The good thing about lasers are that since nobody knows what the hell they are they sell them cheap:thumb:

Definetally pay the guy 1500.

yeah get your car checked out man, i ####ed up royally with my eclipse on that and got screwed, oh well at least it already had a nice load of aftermarket goodies like gauges, electronics, 16G turbo, racing cams, exhuast rims, tinted windows, 2G MAS upper IC hard pipe. oh well time to wait on my new sbr head so i can pull her apart and put her back together to find any other problems. oh yeah i also have a '93 laser n/t she's fun to drive but gets madd wheel spin in the rain and in turns under hard excell in 1st and sometimes 2nd :/

I love having a Plymouth! Although, I too run into problems explaining it to my friends what it is. They always laugh and say I have a Blazer. So I have to explain it again and again. IT'S A LASER!! I got all the badges taken off when I got it repainted after my brother hit a deer with it. Mine had the gold trim on the bottom, but I had that and the top painted red with the rest of the car. Don't be ashamed to drive a laser!

~Andrew~:laser:

I love having a Laser. The only bad part is having to explain what it is.

"What do you drive"
"A laser"
"A what??"
"Its the same as a Talon, or Eclipse"
"Oh Eclipses are cool man"

The worst part of owning a laser is having to explain what it is, I go through this all the time so now I just say I drive a little 'ol plymouth.

The worst part is when you say it's a PLYMOUTH Laser at the auto parts store. They ask BLAZER? I SAID P L Y M O U T H Laser, I don't recall saying CHEVY. :mad:

People are morons sometimes. And then they look down on you as if you didn't know shit about your own car. LOL.

LOL I told the guy at the junkyard to turn up his hearing add when i called for a WG Actuator, He said blazer's werent turbo, I about jumped into the phone and bit his ear off when i heard that cause i told him 4 times Plymouth Laser 2.0Liter TURBO

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back