The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

ksport vs tanabe vs megan racing coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glliw

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2005
Panama City Beach, Florida
So I'm trying to choose my suspension now. I really like the adjustability of coilovers and have a little extra money burning a hole in my pocket, so its time to spend spend spend! My problem is, is that I can't see anything between these three different coilover systems that's different besides color and brand choice. I know the megan's are a little bit more expensive, but are they worth it? My car is mostly used for drag, but I plan to also hit the autox.

Call Ty at RRE and ask him to sell you some Konis.
Koni completely owns any of the options you are currently asking about.

TrueChoiceKoniRacing has all of the parts needed to assemble a coilover kit.

http://www.wincom.net/trog/autocross_secrets.html
" Konis are usually perfectly adaquate. They are, by far, the best budget shock and better than any of the crap coming out of Japan. JIC, GAB, Tokiko, Tein - synonyms for "crap"."

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/eclsuspension.htm

http://www.truechoicekoniracingservices.com/TKRS_2005_Web_Catalog.pdf

Attachments

• koniparts.jpg
    koniparts.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,210
thanks for that, but I'd rather not assemble it myself. And just by adding up that list, its still 700 bucks. Let's talk more about the three in question please. I'm also wanting height adjustability. Is that able to be separate from stiffness?

I'm also wanting height adjustability. Is that able to be separate from stiffness?

The 2G car has precious little suspension travel. To reduce ride height, you must increase spring rate. If you don't, you'll bottom the car.

thanks for that, but I'd rather not assemble it myself.

You ever put together lego's as a kid? Assembling the coilover is WAY easier than actually doing the job of swapping the suspension. BTW, you might want some vice grips for your swaybar endlinks if they're rounded out.

Yes, I did play with legos LOL. It's not something I would want to do though, I would rather have peace of mind that someone assembled the piece prior for me. I do all the work on my car myself, just don't want to build a coilover.

I have D2's with custom rates they are on a 1g but they work great.

The only bad thing i have to say about them is that if you order custom rates it took 3 months to get them in from asia.

Yes, I did play with legos LOL. It's not something I would want to do though, I would rather have peace of mind that someone assembled the piece prior for me. I do all the work on my car myself, just don't want to build a coilover.

Dude, one piece slides on top of the other. Id rather have the piece of mind that I put everything together myself, the right way, instead of having some meth head at a factory put my life at risk.

Theres a how-to on assembling this exact setup. I cant seem to find it right now, but its out there somewhere. Heres my quick summary.

Pick up a shock in your hand. Put the little white plastic washer over the shaft so it rests on the body. Take your old factory bumpstops and trim off the top section, which happens to the smallest. Push it down over the shock shaft until it rests on the washer. Thread the perch onto the sleeve. Then take the sleeve, slide it over the shock body. Take the spring, and put it on the whole deal. I know its hard to figure out.:rolleyes:

Trust me, when everythings in front of you, youll realize how easy it is.

Well, ordered the megans, I expect good things from them. :)

Wish I would have seen your post sooner, I dount you will like the megan racing springs. They will drop the car and as long as you are not moving they look good but DAMN are they very very stiff. Not sure about the 2g but I do know that on a 1G the rear camber goes to crap and you HAVE to go aftermarket to get enough adjustability and the kits are as much or more expensive than your springs. Ingalls makes a very nice but expensive setup and there is one more but I can not remember the name but it actually requires you to take apart a good bit of your suspension to get it to work.

With that said hopefully you like your springs more than I liked mine

I'm only wanting a mild drop out of them, mostly more looking for the performance of them. Stock blown suspension just sucks. Also, as previously stated, 1g suspension is vastly different from 2g. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Wish I would have seen your post sooner, I dount you will like the megan racing springs. They will drop the car and as long as you are not moving they look good but DAMN are they very very stiff. Not sure about the 2g but I do know that on a 1G the rear camber goes to crap and you HAVE to go aftermarket to get enough adjustability and the kits are as much or more expensive than your springs. Ingalls makes a very nice but expensive setup and there is one more but I can not remember the name but it actually requires you to take apart a good bit of your suspension to get it to work.

With that said hopefully you like your springs more than I liked mine

Uh.. he meant he ordered the Megan Coilover kit, not the springs (right?!?)... I have the Megans and IMO they're in a whole 'nother league compared to the others you mentioned. MR coilovers are rebadged Apex N1 units and are quite good. I've used them at track events and have plenty of Malibu canyon miles on them and they're great. I went with a stiffer rear rate which helped even more.

Uh.. he meant he ordered the Megan Coilover kit, not the springs (right?!?)... I have the Megans and IMO they're in a whole 'nother league compared to the others you mentioned. MR coilovers are rebadged Apex N1 units and are quite good. I've used them at track events and have plenty of Malibu canyon miles on them and they're great. I went with a stiffer rear rate which helped even more.

Yes, I got the actual coilover kit, the expensive one. :thumb:

This is actually a great debate. :thumb:

I have another question to throw into the mix though. Ksport has a kit called the "RR" where you can order them with custom rates an appropriate shock revalving, for just under 1k. But which would be better? The RR's or Koni Yellows and some sort of coilover sleeve and hypercoils (if you can even get a decent sleeve without springs)?

So how did the megans worked out. I am stuck between the d2's and the megan coilovers.
Do any vendors stock both to give a comparision.

i absolutely love my D2

although i really don't have time for elaboration at the moment,

i'll just say that i wish i woudl have gotten these the first go around,
instead of kyb/agx.

the ride is actually very nice when they are on the softest setting,

Thanks for your input i am more concerned now which one would be easier to service if they were to break. plus overall cost betweent the two i think that is going to be the decideing factor.

If only Koni, or TrueChoice would sell "Koni Coilovers" the world would be a better place.

From a purely technical standpoint, the Koni shock is superior to most, if not all, of the other "budget" shocks. Even with technical downsides like the fact that it's a twin tube, and the fact that both rebound and compression are effected (even if only very slightly) the koni still delivers better all around performance than any of the others.

DISCLAIMER: I have not seen shock dyno info on Megan Racing shocks. I doubt they're much better then the rest, but I can't include them as I haven't seen the data. Larry Parker previously offered to load any shocks on the his dyno for free to provide data points.

The Koni shocks are not close to superior to all. For the price range they are probably the best out there.

Who uses the TrueChoice coilover setup?

Their phase 1 kit is about $150 cheaper than ground controls/koni yellows, and it's basically the same thing... are GCs worth the extra money?

FWIW, I have a 2G AWD and I have K-Sports. I love the K-Sports... They ride well, they handle well. I also have two friends with 10sec. 1G's, they both got K-Sports from me and love them. They do a great job of controling the body movment.
If you are looking for the K-Sports at a great price with the best service, consult this thread:
http://www.orldsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9795

any of the kits mentioned above will do well if they are properly setup.

they are very similar.

D2 and KSport are almost the same product.

Megan makes a much better coilover than people give them credit for

Tanabe Probably the highest quality of them all but limited options for the DSM.

I've installed and configured everyone that you are talking about and actually did a lot of the original testing for Megan with the 1g and 2g coilovers.

You'll like the Megans. Make sure they are installed by someone who knows how to set them up and not someone who is slapping them on and once they settle (about a week) be sure to get a good alignment.

Best of luck.

FWIW, I have a 2G AWD and I have K-Sports. I love the K-Sports... They ride well, they handle well. I also have two friends with 10sec. 1G's, they both got K-Sports from me and love them. They do a great job of controling the body movment.
If you are looking for the K-Sports at a great price with the best service, consult this thread:
http://www.orldsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9795

Off Topic,

Frank, Please respond to my PMs.

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back