The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Knock from front right suspension... Cant find

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvreclips

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2005
Greenville, South_Carolina
Ok guys, Ive been looking and replacing parts in the front end trying to figure out this suspension knock I keep hearing. It seems to have gotten a little better but is still there.

Background: The knock is deffinately coming from the front passenger side of the car. It can sometimes be heard on hard 1st to 2nd shifts. Mainly noticeable on hard launches the last time I was at an autox. Also the last track day I did any time I hit a gator on the right side going into a corner there was a loud pop, to the point my instructor was a little bit worried about the car. I have also heard the noise under hard braking conditions.

Here is what has been replaced in the last few months trying to track this down. New tie rods inner and outer. Alignment was also done. Poly sway bar bushings, sway bar end links. New lower compression arm with ball joint, new lateral arm with ball joint, new upper ball joint.

The only thing I have not replaced is the anchor bolts for the upper control arm, they seemed to be in ok shape and Im not sure where to buy just those parts.

Or I was thinking it could be the subframe bushings. I hate replacing parts for the hell of it so has anyone had this issue before.

Any help is great

Forgot to add, all motor mounts are poly and are good and also I swapped the springs/struts between the driver and passenger side and still the same pop. Wheel bearing was replaced on the driver side but the passenger side is still tight

Check the upper control arm were the bolts come threw under the hood the little sleeve that holds it straight can come loose.

I had to reweld mine.

Make sure that the upper ball joint is still seated in the control arm. I have found that some brands aren't quite right on the outside diameter and will not fit the control arm tight enough. Because of this, they will become lose and make noise.

Check the upper control arm were the bolts come threw under the hood the little sleeve that holds it straight can come loose.

I had to reweld mine.

I have not thought about that sleeve coming loose, Ill check that out this weekend. I dont think its brake related because it will knock/pop when off the brakes as well if i hit a large bump or hole.

Has anyone had issues with subframe bushing going out and making similar noises.

The ball joint is still seated. It was making this noise before and after I replaced it.

I did try prying the tire up with a 2x4 to cycle the suspension but it wasnt violent enough to get the car to make the noise.

The next easiest thing to replace is the anchor bolts, I guess Im going to try and locate some of those and replace them hoping it solves the problem.

6 years later and still plagued by this issue. It hasn't gotten any worse or better. Still the same knock coming from somewhere in the front right suspension. I was hoping that something would eventually fail and the mystery would be solved. I have now replaced the front sub frame bushings and changed all of the control arm bushings to poly.

I have almost convinced myself that it must have something to do with spring/strut. I still hear the noise when launching hard, under hard braking when hitting a rough patch in the road and the suspension moves. But I have also heard it when rolling through a dip in a driveway, which adds some confusion.

I have shot some slow motion videos of the car launching to see if the front wheel had any strange movement, nothing turned up there.

Does anyone have any new ideas?

Strange this should come up. The last time I autocrossed I had identical symptoms. I've never heard it during track days or on the street, though. I'm suspecting something with my SPC upper control arms - either just them getting past the bump stop limit and clearancing the shock tower a bit or play in the anchors.

Either half shaft or upper bearing plate on top of the strut.

2gs don't have bearings on the top of the struts, they just twist a little as the wheel turns. I also thought maybe an axle, but I would think a bad axle would make noise when close to full lock.

The odd thing is that the noise is either there or not. There is no soft tap or pop, its either a loud knock you can feel in the floor or silent. Ill get back under and pry around some more, but I'm not to hopeful. I need to find a way to replicate the noise in the garage somehow.

Inner CVs do all kinds of funky things. How many DSMs are out there running with 100+K miles and 20-30 years on them. I just recently replaced both my CVs on my 2g and both inners were bad and both outters were fine. They did so many funky different things it was hard to say any one thing was it.

CVs are wear and tear items such as brakes or clutches.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back