The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Knock at idle only (video attached)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigs4slaughter

Probationary Member
Jun 21, 2004
Westminster, California
I just put a new head in. When I started the car it sounded pretty good, idle was high but it was warming up. Obviously the timing was off and I could hear it a little but I don't have a timing gun so that will get done when my friend comes over. When the car warmed up the idle dropped and I started to hear a REALLY bad knock. The knock is there below 1k but when ever I rev past 1k it goes away.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here I recorded the noise

Collapsed lifter or loose valve cover baffle gets my vote. Pull the VC and have a look.

Agreed, that sounds like lifter tick. Drop in a set of 3G lifters and be done with it.

Alright sounds like I'm gonna be shopping for lifters. Whats the best place to get lifters from. Should I get 3g's or different ones.

No_Skillz said:
How about looking for other possible solutions like a can of Restore before spending $$?

LOL, a can of restore isn't going to do shit in this situation. Either a lifter has failed completely or something in the topend is getting beat around. You won't know until you pull the valve cover and survey the damage. Whatever it is, its de. not normal and you won't have a 100% answer of what the problem is until you pull the cover. :rolleyes:

With bad lifters they should be squishy right? I remember checking them before putting them in and they were firm

Right, a collapsed lifter will compress very easily without using a paperclip. While it can be lifters, I really want you to pull the VC and at least check for loose baffles or contact marks from the cams on the underside.

Improper tension on the timing belt is my thought, that or a bad pulley bearing, or bad tensioner itself.

Tell you what put a wrench on the cam gears and rotate them with the car off and see if you can feel it. I believe its your timing belt not having the proper tension and the plastic guard is touching somewhere .Look also at your crankshaft pulley see if the rubber has seperated . Collapased lifters just dont stop ticking . That is not lifters something is wrong with the timing belt set up .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back