The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Just bought a "1g shifter issues"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM's 4 life

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2011
Buffalo, New_York
Hey guys I just picked up a really clean 1990 eagle talon awd for a good price But the shifter has really stiff side to side and pops out of first gear. the guy I bought it from said it has been like that since he had gotten it last year and he was told that the shifter cables broke and were replaced with non 1990 cables. I guess it never bothered him enough to fix it but its driving me crazy. He also had a short shifter in the car but he just swapped the whole shifter base I looked through forms and saw that the early model 1st gens had different trans brackets and shifters but how do I tell what year the cables are?

Attachments

• talon.jpg
    talon.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 111
  • get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 68
I have seen in another thread with pics and all that the whole shifter assembly for a '90 ia different. Try and see if that short shifter is a good one (which I doubt it is) or if its the cheap $15 kit ebay sells.

It might just be that the base needs a rebuild with new bushings and thats the reason it pops out of 1st. Plain and simple get a original base and rebuild it to go from there, in case you cant identify the cables.

Unless if that car in the picture had a front end swap then that is surely not a 90 1GA.
It is a 92-94 1GB
Either way verify which shifter base you have (see link below). Make sure the base, shifter cables, brackets and everything are for a 92+. Swap whatever does not match.

Shifter Differences, 90 and 91-94

Good luck.

Unless if that car in the picture had a front end swap then that is surely not a 90 1GA.
It is a 92-94 1GB
Either way verify which shifter base you have (see link below). Make sure the base, shifter cables, brackets and everything are for a 92+. Swap whatever does not match.

Shifter Differences, 90 and 91-94

Good luck.

Yeah the hood,bumper,headlights,and tails were Swaped out.
I'm away at school so I cant check the shifter till I go home in a few weeks I already ordered new shifter base bushings I think I might just order new cables now it can't hurt anything they look kinda rusty.

Make sure the shifter cables are for a 1990, make sure they are adjusted properly. Get all new bushings for the shifter assembly from JNZ tuning (~$4 for all of them), make sure the transmission is either the original (look at the stamped VIN number on the bellhousing) and additionally make sure that the shifter linkage bracket on the transmission itself is for a 1990. Also investing into the Symborski Shifter Kit plus some brass under hood bushings will greatly improve both the feel and the way it shifts. If all this fails, then it might have something to do with your transmission internally.

Yeah the hood,bumper,headlights,and tails were Swaped out.
I'm away at school so I cant check the shifter till I go home in a few weeks I already ordered new shifter base bushings I think I might just order new cables now it can't hurt anything they look kinda rusty.

So it CAN be done. Nice good stuff.
Well if it is a 90 for sure then everything needs to be 90 from the base all the way to the bracket on the tranny. Check all that stuff out. As for the cables I would just go out and buy 90 awd so you know for sure you have the right ones. The cables are cut to a specific length. You can use the wrong cables and sort of get it to work by adjusting the rods on the cables but it is not worth the waste of time. Just get the right ones and start from there. Not going to say getting everything on point will stop the popping out and other issues you may have but atleast you know what you have in your car. Helps with troubleshooting in the future. Don't worry about the short shifter for now. Get that out of the way and get the stock stuff in there.
If the car doesn't have them pickup some metal shifter bushings for the base and cables as well.

Disconnect the cables from the transmission and see if it's still hard to move the shifter levers. That will tell you if the problem lies with the transmission or the shifter/cable assembly.

Check out the shifter itself as well, under the boot. Who knows, maybe the bushings were worn out and the guy before you just tightened the shit out of everything or the cables are binding up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back