The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

IPT Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98TalonTSi

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2003
Readington, New_Jersey
I had a trans meltdown the a week and a half ago, from a bad trans cooler.
I had a Translab shift kit and alto end clutch previously installed at 55,000 miles, after owning the car for about 6,000 miles.
The trans in that form lasted me through at least 25 drag passes, constant NJ traffic beating, and the regular open highway beating. It now has 70,000 miles. When we pulled the trans, it was "ok", but not great.
I went with an all-out trans, as IMHO, that is the only way to go if you're making some good power. I had a complete IPT race prepped trans, valvebody, and 4000 restalled converter. I also went with a 21,000 BTU trans cooler and a Phantom Grip LSD.
The car was night and day. The custom valvebody made the translab kit feel like slop. I was able to stall the car to 3800 without really pulling through the brakes, and I was at my max set psi of 18 in a few seconds. When I launched, I actually left to side by side burnouts next to each other...no more peg leg for me. Also, if I don't let off the gas a little bit after the initial launch, the car shifts into second sideways and just continues to spin...I think it's time for a dual stage boost control.
The customer service and support is top notch...in my opinion...THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE. John, Brad, and Daron at IPT are the definitive answer for the AT DSM.
I'll post up some new times with and without slicks once I get to the track.
I will also keep everyone updated as to how everything is going.
IPT ALL THE WAY!!!!
Mike

Congrats dude. Sounds like you too like your trans......do you live locally to IPT or did you have your stuff shipped out to you?

I live locally and drove up there.
One more thing to add....
If anyone has an AT DSM and is just beginning to mod or is looking to further improve their car that is already modded, the Torque Converter is by far the biggest improvement and worthwhile mod I have done so far. Bigger than the head, cams, and all the other goodies I have done.
Mike

what type of high stall converter should i get???

I dunno.......???
What mods do you have? Where is your peak torque beginning?
Mike

right itz all stock again
because it as recently stolen and replaced with stock items

Well, figure out your mods first, as far as what your goals are. If you mod your trans now, keeping in mind what those goals are, you'll be happier. Just think, the trans will be ready for the power, instead of having the problems most of us do, by beating the stock trans into submission from too much power, then having all sorts of problems.
Mike

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back