The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Installing A New Radio???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagickMan0730

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2009
Ellenville, New_York
Hi guys. I just got a new radio from a friend of mine. He has it so I dont remember the name but all of its wires are labeled. The problem is I dont know what color the Ignition and 12 volt wires are on my car. I have a 95 Talon Esi. I know it is compatable but I dont have any diagrams or anything. Does anybody have an Esi they could look at???:banghead: :D
Also, back behind the main wires I have three harnesses individually plugged into a port. My radio has two harnesses, one for the main wires, and one for all the speakers. It looks like they fit. Can I unplug any of those and just plug in the harness on the radio to it?? I dont think I should touch any of that though. If anybody needs some pics I can upload them.

Thanx...

Save yourself the headache and get a wiring harness from Ebay. You can find em for $5-7 shipped.

We do not use ISO standard switchable radio harness like in Europe, I highly doubt any of those harness currently plugged in will just plug into your new stereo.

If you want to cut off the stock harness thats fine to, but thats really frowned upon. Wiring diagram for that if you wish to continue this route can be found on vfaq.com

The original wiring harness was already cut before I bought the car. He had it totally wired up with subs and everything but pulled it before he sold it to me. I looked on vfaq like you said and thank you very much. But the wiring diagram is different I think. It says the 12 volt is White and the Ignition is Black and White. I dont have neither of those wires. I always wire radios but this one looks weird. Most cars have either a yellow, red, or white solid wire as the power but I dont have any of those. Any other help?? Also, like 2-3 wires dont have a colored stripe, but colored dashes going along it. are these different fromm speaker wires?

LOL.Thanx for the help.....No but really. The wires were already cut. And it was only the ones that are normally cut when people splice and connect radios. I just dont know which one is the power and ignition. I need someone with a 95 Talon...... = /

If you want to clean up that hack job, you can buy the car side harness also on EBAY.

If not, just get a multimeter and see what is constant 12v, and then measure for the wire that goes 12v when key switch to acc.

I would tell the constant 12v and switched 12v is the 2 most inner wire on the harness on the bottom row, i forget if it was ont he side with the locking clip or not, but either way it wouldn't help since the previous owner cut it.

If you want to clean up that hack job, you can buy the car side harness also on EBAY.

If not, just get a multimeter and see what is constant 12v, and then measure for the wire that goes 12v when key switch to acc.

I would tell the constant 12v and switched 12v is the 2 most inner wire on the harness on the bottom row, i forget if it was ont he side with the locking clip or not, but either way it wouldn't help since the previous owner cut it.

Your right RedTurboEclipse. Im just gonna get a voltmeter and check the voltage. Thanks for the help guys.:rocks::hellyeah:

Honestly if you dont know what wire is which things can go badly. I work in mobile audio and video and i've seen speakers getting shorted out and decks getting fried by the wrong wires. Take it to a shop. Most places are reasonably priced

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back