The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

instalation tips on rebuilt engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastdsm1

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2002
springfield_massachusetts
ok...here it is...I am getting my spare engine back from the machine shop this week.I had them rebuild the whole thing with a Top line complete engine rebuild kit from mach v.The block was bored 0.20 over,balance shaft removed(balance removal kit from mach v) I had the whole thing balanced.I also had them rebuild the head, and do some port work on it.Anyways...I am dropping that engine into my 91 talon tsi.I am confident on my ability to do the job myself but what I am asking for is any tips or things to look out for while im doing the job.Thanks in advance!

i am going to take it you never put a motor in. its pretty easy as long as you know how to change the ps pump and the alternator the rest is really easy. one thing i have to say is double check vaccuum and wiring when you do it. thats the hardest part if you want to call it hard. you never specified auto or manual either way putting the tranny on is the easiest part. especially if you have an automatice. lastly when start the motor let it idle for like 30min it will tick like hell thats ok. its just the lifters they should quiet down a little with in a few hours. check under the car for leaks very important some times they forget to replace oil gallery plugs when they rebuild. i have had to replace open plug galleries atleast 6 of the many motors i have installed in cars. no leaks let idle for an hour then take out for a nice soft gentle ride accelerate slower than your grandma. do that for the next couple of days then around 1500miles change to synthetic oil. as long as the engine shop did a good job i am sure you won't have problems, good luck, its easy don't fool your self to thinking its hard. i rather change and engine than a battery on a dodge intrepid

Hey man I hope that you get upset when I tell you that I have installed a engine by myself,(nobody around)just never in a dsm before.I am confident on my abilities to be able to install the engine with no problems occuring,since this is my first dsm swap,thats why I ask for any things that I should lookout for..."ex.certian bolt is a real pain to get to,but if you reach for it this way you should have no problem." Any learned tricks that are proven to make things easy while performing the swap.I hope that you understand that sometimes people ask questions to gain knowledge not because they have never done the job or are not capable to perform the job.I appreciate your info and thanks. :thumb:

If your pulling the old motor out now before you put this new one in, it shouldn't be a huge problem problem for you at all. All the little things should be fresh in your memory and As I'm sure you know you might want to mark or shoot pix's of your wiring and vacum etc.

I'm sure it'll go smoothly. :thumb: :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back