The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Injector seal dropped into the fuel injector hole..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMTyson

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 9, 2010
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Alright, well, I was taking my FIC 550's and swapping them out with my FIC750s and as I was taking the 550s out one of the lower seals broke into 2 small peices and one of the pieces dropped into the hole.

its this big -------------> O

Should I even worry about it?

and if I should be worried, how can I get it out?

Alright, well, I was taking my FIC 550's and swapping them out with my FIC750s and as I was taking the 550s out one of the lower seals broke into 2 small peices and one of the pieces dropped into the hole.

its this big -------------> O

Should I even worry about it?

and if I should be worried, how can I get it out?

It'll probably make it through the engine and turbo without causing problems, but i would just pull the intake manifold if you can't get to it through the injector hole.

It's a bit of work to pull the stock manifold, but i'd do it for the peace of mind.

I would be concerned about what it could do to the turbo if anything. I say disable fuel and ignition and pull the spark plug for the cylinder it will be headed to. Then just crank the car over a few times. It will either shit it out the spark plug hole or go through the turbo, but only at cranking speed.

Any foreign object falling into a motor is a cause for concern I dont know why people say its not going to do anything when it can get lodged up in a oil passage and precent oil from getting somewhere.
Can you see the part in there at all? You should pickup one of these and see if you can get it out I wouldnt crank a damn thing over til then. Good luck
11" Long Reach Needlenose Pliers with 45° Offset Jaws

It takes 30 minutes to remove the intake manifold. I would take it off.

While you have it off, it would be a good time to clean your intake manifold, put on new gaskets, remove any emissions lines or non-working A/C compressors (if you havent done so already), inspect your knock sensor....etc

It takes 30 minutes to remove the intake manifold. I would take it off.

While you have it off, it would be a good time to clean your intake manifold, put on new gaskets, remove any emissions lines or non-working A/C compressors (if you havent done so already), inspect your knock sensor....etc

I just swapped intake manifolds a month ago and have new gaskets throughout everything attatched to the manifold. EGR is deleted. No a/c. Checked knock sensor at same time. :)

I really don't want to take it off again but if you guys really think it would potentially cause some damage, i'll take your word for it.

I would be concerned about what it could do to the turbo if anything. I say disable fuel and ignition and pull the spark plug for the cylinder it will be headed to. Then just crank the car over a few times. It will either shit it out the spark plug hole or go through the turbo, but only at cranking speed.

Anyone else agree with this idea? It sounds like it would work, and the engine wont be rotating very fast so i wouldn't think it would hurt anything.

I have my turbo off by the way, so that is not an issue. I'm swapping it for a 20G later next week. My 14b had a chip in the center section where the compressor housing seal is.

Last edited:
You might be ok, but I still wouldn't do it. Thats just me. I'm trying to figure out how an injector seal broke in half. Must have been pretty old and brittle.

You might be ok, but I still wouldn't do it. Thats just me. I'm trying to figure out how an injector seal broke in half. Must have been pretty old and brittle.

Actually they were some FIC lower seals that had been on the car for ~800 miles :confused:. About a third of the seal broke off while taking out the injector and that third had also broken in half. I tried to take it out with needle nose pliers, but i accidentally pushed it in :coy:. I was pissed..

Bro, pull the spark plug and get a magnet or something you can shove through the hole. See if you can see the piece on the top of the piston somewhere. Then whatever you are going to stick down there, put some silicone grease or whatever kind of grease floats your boat on the end of it. Then see if you can get the piece stuck to the end of the magnet with the grease.

Bro, pull the spark plug and get a magnet or something you can shove through the hole. See if you can see the piece on the top of the piston somewhere. Then whatever you are going to stick down there, put some silicone grease or whatever kind of grease floats your boat on the end of it. Then see if you can get the piece stuck to the end of the magnet with the grease.

It will be tough to do that when the valves are in the way.

It will be tough to do that when the valves are in the way.

You said it. LOL

I'll just take your advise BrokenTsi, and take the manifold off and take out the little piece of seal by hand for peace of mind. But i'll do it tomorrow.

Thanks man.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back