1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Street Build I Don't Even Know What This Is

Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada

Street Build 386  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 647  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I honestly have no idea what the direction of this car is. I bought it for the sake of buying it. First I wanted a cool show-car, then I was thinking unique drift car, now I'm thinking "just a nice daily that I can beat the hell out of." I'm kinda off/on with the car. I work on it mainly when I get sick of the Talon, or the Talon is just sitting waiting for parts. Wanna see something nasty?
    ECLIPSE_NASTY.jpeg
    Yeah the carpet was SUPER gross (asbestos special). Car was entirely together, and driving when I got it. I just felt the need to rip out all of this crap. Also thought this carpet was beyond saving, just chucked it in the trash.
    ECLIPSE_TRASH.jpeg
    I stripped out the entire interior. It was grey, which isn't bad but when there are beautiful black interiors in the world, why settle? I took off all the easy-to-reach sound deafening, revealed some surface rust. The underside of the car is actually surprisingly clean, one of the reasons I bought it. I cleaned up the rust, sprayed it with some rust-proofing. It's not a beautiful job by any means but will it rust? Hell no.
    ECLIPSE_RUSTPROOF.jpeg
    Some of the wires in here were for trunk-amps, and some wires (non-oem) were just free floating for some reason? Took out all the useless crap, threw in a brand new carpet, got a beautiful black dash from a charitable junkyard car, and here's where we are.
    ECLIPSE_INTERIOR.jpeg
    I also had a short-throw shifter sitting on my shelf that I threw in. Never driven a DSM without a short-throw and don't really want to experience it. Carpet still needs to get those clips to hold them in under the running boards (I threw the ones from the other carpet out on accident). Also that dash piece with the warning lights has some whack gauge holder thing. I want to get rid of that for an oem black one, so I can have beautiful AC. I also totally ruined the black steering column cover so I'm on the look out for one that wasn't owned by a spastic who misses the key-hole every time they try and start their car. I also need the power mirrors button area of buttons in black. If you have any oem black parts that look like they are missing from this picture, lmk I want all of them. FYI I already have the steering wheel, the radio cover thing, and a blacker e-brake.

I've got 3000GT front-brake upgrade waiting for this guy. I would put them on my talon but honestly I want to do super nice brembos or willwoods for that car. Have the rotors, pads, and volk adapter kit on the way! Just gotta clean the brakes up, paint em, and we're golden.

If anyone wants me to make this a drift car, just dare me. I probably will.

Street Build 386  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 647  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ErikTande and BLACK'98DSM like this.
  3. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    RWD conversion??? :hellyeah:

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

388  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

297  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
  4. Widgmaster

Widgmaster Supporting VIP

Joined Aug 24, 2018
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Looks like it`s coming along nicely . Too bad I`m three provinces away , I could of helped you with new covers for your seats. I lived in Calgary back in the seventies. I worked at Calgary Autoglass & Trim out by Maclin Ford … Wonder if there still around .

18  1

2002 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab

110  7

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT
    fwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
  5. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Been working piece by piece at this car. It got pretty cold recently and I usually only work outside. The next step for this car was to get rid of this random sound defending that the previous owner put in the trunk.
    27C92A1E-90BF-4F21-87A6-261E7A6F2A00.jpeg
    I suppose the owner was super lazy and didn’t put a drain tube on the drivers side of the trunk. Still gotta get one of those. It was pretty nasty down there. My first thought was that he must have been covering something up. Either the hatch is totally rusted out and he just threw something down, OR he had some personal vendetta against me and wanted me to chip all this stuff off. It was like gum trying to lift it off, absolute hell. This past weekend I finally got it all off. It was SO thick, I’m guessing 20-30lbs.
    492FC021-6C68-42F1-8031-840CCD1B6F09.jpeg
    So that’s gross. Nothing is rusted through, all surface garbage. I’m convinced there wasn’t any rust there beforehand. When I was trying to pull the silver stuff up, it seems to retain water. I’m guessing the lack of the drain tube paired with the silver stuff stuck some water at the bottom. It’s a big bummer that there isn’t the thing to hold the tire in here. Maybe I’ll make it so I can secure a full size spare in there?
    Anyways, got some brakes for this car. Considering it’s looking like it’s going to be a daily, just want something better than stock brakes. I picked up some 3000gt brakes, adapter kit, rotors, pads, and I’m just missing the lines. Also totally proud I painted these callipers myself.
    F87D6BC6-7601-46C8-8B89-A557119E9582.jpeg
    2EF71609-E056-4537-A4E1-7107629DEF2F.jpeg
    0507A4FA-6F82-43DC-99A5-7CA9BC1F05DD.jpeg
    Just need to clean out the hatch of all the rust, paint everything very nicely so I never have to deal with it, and throw on these brakes and I’ll be happy.

Street Build 386  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 647  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ErikTande and BLACK'98DSM like this.
  6. Widgmaster

Joined Aug 24, 2018
    Sarnia, ON, Canada

18  1

110  7

7. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    @Kai Hefner I just picked up one of those exact short shifters on Saturday. It's aluminum with purple linkage. FYI it's a Megan Racing.

Road Race Build 2K  25

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

388  3

2012 Murray Explorer Dune

297  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    Kai Hefner likes this.
  8. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    I do like those! I think it's a custom line I need though, if I'm not mistaken.

Too bad! I've never heard of it, nor can I find it when searching so I doubt it. Maclin Ford is still around though. I'm actually moving out to Ontario for a bit in January. No cars are coming with me besides the Vdub unfortunately.

Street Build 386  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 647  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. ErikTande

ErikTande Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2012
    Centennial, Colorado
    Where did you get the new carpet from? looks awesome.

Street Build 782  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.2 @ 105 · 1G DSM
  10. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    @RockAuto I got the moulded 801 black. It wasn't as "bolt-in" as I thought it would be. The carpet comes as just a huge thing and you have to cut it down to fit the car. If I knew this, I probably would have kept the old sh**ty one to use as a trace. It says that it settles but it's been there for weeks and not much has settled. However, it's really not the hardest thing ever, just don't throw out your old carpet before tracing and remember to keep the little plastic clip things on the sides. Definitely don't go for an un-moulded one, I bet that would be hell. The "moulding" is pretty much just ridges in the carpet for the metal support bars (the ones that your seat bolts into). You have to cut out every hole for wires, bolts, the whole shabang. The up-side is that it looks f***ing sick.

Street Build 386  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 647  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. Widgmaster

Joined Aug 24, 2018
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Carpet 1.jpg Carpet2.jpg Being an upholsterer for over 45 years I have installed many carpets in many different vehicles . The way I get them to lay flat is to steam them into place. You could probably find one of those hand held jobbies at your local Walmart .. I put up a link to the product here …. https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hand steamer .. Any one of these should work ..

Here are a couple pics of a carpet I installed on a Stumino .. That's a 51 Studebaker Campion with a 1982 El Camino box grafted in.. I had to use unmolded carpet but using my steamer you can see it came out pretty good.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019

18  1

110  7

1990TSIAWDTALON and Kai Hefner like this.