The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

I Don't Even Know What This Is

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I honestly have no idea what the direction of this car is. I bought it for the sake of buying it. First I wanted a cool show-car, then I was thinking unique drift car, now I'm thinking "just a nice daily that I can beat the hell out of." I'm kinda off/on with the car. I work on it mainly when I get sick of the Talon, or the Talon is just sitting waiting for parts. Wanna see something nasty?
ECLIPSE_NASTY.jpeg

Yeah the carpet was SUPER gross (asbestos special). Car was entirely together, and driving when I got it. I just felt the need to rip out all of this crap. Also thought this carpet was beyond saving, just chucked it in the trash.
ECLIPSE_TRASH.jpeg

I stripped out the entire interior. It was grey, which isn't bad but when there are beautiful black interiors in the world, why settle? I took off all the easy-to-reach sound deafening, revealed some surface rust. The underside of the car is actually surprisingly clean, one of the reasons I bought it. I cleaned up the rust, sprayed it with some rust-proofing. It's not a beautiful job by any means but will it rust? Hell no.
ECLIPSE_RUSTPROOF.jpeg

Some of the wires in here were for trunk-amps, and some wires (non-oem) were just free floating for some reason? Took out all the useless crap, threw in a brand new carpet, got a beautiful black dash from a charitable junkyard car, and here's where we are.
ECLIPSE_INTERIOR.jpeg

I also had a short-throw shifter sitting on my shelf that I threw in. Never driven a DSM without a short-throw and don't really want to experience it. Carpet still needs to get those clips to hold them in under the running boards (I threw the ones from the other carpet out on accident). Also that dash piece with the warning lights has some whack gauge holder thing. I want to get rid of that for an oem black one, so I can have beautiful AC. I also totally ruined the black steering column cover so I'm on the look out for one that wasn't owned by a spastic who misses the key-hole every time they try and start their car. I also need the power mirrors button area of buttons in black. If you have any oem black parts that look like they are missing from this picture, lmk I want all of them. FYI I already have the steering wheel, the radio cover thing, and a blacker e-brake.

I've got 3000GT front-brake upgrade waiting for this guy. I would put them on my talon but honestly I want to do super nice brembos or willwoods for that car. Have the rotors, pads, and volk adapter kit on the way! Just gotta clean the brakes up, paint em, and we're golden.

If anyone wants me to make this a drift car, just dare me. I probably will.

Looks like it`s coming along nicely . Too bad I`m three provinces away , I could of helped you with new covers for your seats. I lived in Calgary back in the seventies. I worked at Calgary Autoglass & Trim out by Maclin Ford … Wonder if there still around .

Been working piece by piece at this car. It got pretty cold recently and I usually only work outside. The next step for this car was to get rid of this random sound defending that the previous owner put in the trunk.
27C92A1E-90BF-4F21-87A6-261E7A6F2A00.jpeg

I suppose the owner was super lazy and didn’t put a drain tube on the drivers side of the trunk. Still gotta get one of those. It was pretty nasty down there. My first thought was that he must have been covering something up. Either the hatch is totally rusted out and he just threw something down, OR he had some personal vendetta against me and wanted me to chip all this stuff off. It was like gum trying to lift it off, absolute hell. This past weekend I finally got it all off. It was SO thick, I’m guessing 20-30lbs.
492FC021-6C68-42F1-8031-840CCD1B6F09.jpeg

So that’s gross. Nothing is rusted through, all surface garbage. I’m convinced there wasn’t any rust there beforehand. When I was trying to pull the silver stuff up, it seems to retain water. I’m guessing the lack of the drain tube paired with the silver stuff stuck some water at the bottom. It’s a big bummer that there isn’t the thing to hold the tire in here. Maybe I’ll make it so I can secure a full size spare in there?
Anyways, got some brakes for this car. Considering it’s looking like it’s going to be a daily, just want something better than stock brakes. I picked up some 3000gt brakes, adapter kit, rotors, pads, and I’m just missing the lines. Also totally proud I painted these callipers myself.
F87D6BC6-7601-46C8-8B89-A557119E9582.jpeg

2EF71609-E056-4537-A4E1-7107629DEF2F.jpeg

0507A4FA-6F82-43DC-99A5-7CA9BC1F05DD.jpeg

Just need to clean out the hatch of all the rust, paint everything very nicely so I never have to deal with it, and throw on these brakes and I’ll be happy.

Awesum paint job... Thought you might like to see the brake lines I ordered …
https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A6145A0A0.aspx
These would really stand out with your new calipers ...
I do like those! I think it's a custom line I need though, if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like it`s coming along nicely . Too bad I`m three provinces away , I could of helped you with new covers for your seats. I lived in Calgary back in the seventies. I worked at Calgary Autoglass & Trim out by Maclin Ford … Wonder if there still around .
Too bad! I've never heard of it, nor can I find it when searching so I doubt it. Maclin Ford is still around though. I'm actually moving out to Ontario for a bit in January. No cars are coming with me besides the Vdub unfortunately.

Where did you get the new carpet from? looks awesome.
@RockAuto I got the moulded 801 black. It wasn't as "bolt-in" as I thought it would be. The carpet comes as just a huge thing and you have to cut it down to fit the car. If I knew this, I probably would have kept the old shitty one to use as a trace. It says that it settles but it's been there for weeks and not much has settled. However, it's really not the hardest thing ever, just don't throw out your old carpet before tracing and remember to keep the little plastic clip things on the sides. Definitely don't go for an un-moulded one, I bet that would be hell. The "moulding" is pretty much just ridges in the carpet for the metal support bars (the ones that your seat bolts into). You have to cut out every hole for wires, bolts, the whole shabang. The up-side is that it looks f***ing sick.

Carpet 1.jpg Carpet2.jpg Being an upholsterer for over 45 years I have installed many carpets in many different vehicles . The way I get them to lay flat is to steam them into place. You could probably find one of those hand held jobbies at your local Walmart .. I put up a link to the product here …. https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=hand steamer .. Any one of these should work ..

Here are a couple pics of a carpet I installed on a Stumino .. That's a 51 Studebaker Campion with a 1982 El Camino box grafted in.. I had to use unmolded carpet but using my steamer you can see it came out pretty good.

Last edited:
Finally got home and begun a bit of work on the ol’ gal.
The old radiator support was pretty messed up. Just made it difficult for closing the hood, and putting on the front bumper support thing. I drilled out the spot welds on the radiator support of a junkyard car, cleaned it up and painted it. The initial idea was to make the entire support removable but halfway through I realized that it was way too much work. After carefully drilling out the spot-welds in the eclipse, I riveted on the new radiator support. It’s essentially semi-removable. If I really need the access, I can drill out a few rivets and pull off the front-end. Luckily, I didn’t have many issues with lining up the radiator support. All the bolt holes lined up, it was mostly a matter of drilling a couple more holes for rivets.
EC014099-93CA-4A57-AD10-6D20F3801040.jpeg

I still need to clean up that front bumper support thing as well as the trunk but that’s for another day. Also need to get this engine bay in good order. It’s real messy and I don’t want to be fighting issues in a rats-nest later. Having the fenders off during the project definitely gave me some cool ideas for new products. I’m excited to get working on this stuff over the summer.

Color match it to the plug wires and radiator hoses. That's what I did.

Some might call it too "ricey" but I think it looks great and is for sure better than rust.
Good idea! This is a beater though. Probably just going to do everything black because it’s simple and classy.

So the good weather has finally come and it's time to get stuff done on the eclipse! The hatch was pretty messed up and I had some spare metal so I decided to do a spare tire well delete.
Instead of posting some pictures on this thread, I actually made a video while I was doing the project. The delete itself isn't totally done yet, have stuff like cleaning it up, more bolts, etc. I figured I had some decent editing skills and a lot of time this summer so here it is:

Let me know if you like the video stuff, I enjoyed making it.

You may have to get a shock tower brace . With the contours of the metal in that tire well and the added brace you can see at 4:10 in your video your trunk is sturdy enough but cutting it away and then going to flat metal seems to weaken the structure .

No worries. I have a strut brace waiting for the car. Also when I make the spare tire thing to support underneath, I’m going to make it out of box-tube from frame rail to frame rail. Likely welded together.

I was thinking of flattening the first 3 or 4 inches of the spare tire well to run a 2.5 inch pipe to connect a second muffler .If I do I will have it done professionally so I don`t burn down my car. I have seen this in a picture before and really don`t know if I need to bother >
dualmufflers.jpg

So the good weather has finally come and it's time to get stuff done on the eclipse! The hatch was pretty messed up and I had some spare metal so I decided to do a spare tire well delete.
Instead of posting some pictures on this thread, I actually made a video while I was doing the project. The delete itself isn't totally done yet, have stuff like cleaning it up, more bolts, etc. I figured I had some decent editing skills and a lot of time this summer so here it is:

Let me know if you like the video stuff, I enjoyed making it.

The jojo reference made the video perfect

I was thinking of flattening the first 3 or 4 inches of the spare tire well to run a 2.5 inch pipe to connect a second muffler .If I do I will have it done professionally so I don`t burn down my car. I have seen this in a picture before and really don`t know if I need to bother >
View attachment 598652
1 big exhaust is the way to go! Personally not a big fan of the dual-tips, plus it adds unnecessary weight.

6EF2130D-6B25-4FD3-A95E-68871B9374CB.jpeg
Small update. In-progress of taking off the turbo and redoing that stuff but that’s another update.
The interior was filled with garbage. Basically interior pieces, seats, stuff used to put the car back together. I got pretty tired of looking at it so I decided to put the interior back together! Beautiful black interior. I’m also pretty on this shift boot that I made with the stock mounting plate thing.

If your as fussy as I am I know you will keep that interior clean.
I made a joke that it’s a shoes off kinda-car. I WANT to keep it clean but I don’t have the strength.

I’ve been doing crazy work on the car these past couple of days!
I took off all of the cold and hot-side of the car.
9FCB9ECF-64B7-45E3-8F8D-1A63CD06F0B1.jpeg

I cleaned and painted the exhaust manifold. Same way I did my other car. Just better than the disgusting oxidizing colouring. I wanted to throw on the cyclone manifold and eventually get it working, so that’s what I did. The main point of me taking everything apart was to see what I’m working with (and also clean). Turns out the car actually has a small 16g! Amidst all of the issues with the car, this was a nice surprise. Although I’m not done, here’s myself getting closer to getting the bay all cleaned up.
84B7E431-2F4C-4D2E-9D8B-33F37D3E3816.jpeg

I was going to clean up and paint the intake manifold, but until I get it working, might as well just keep it “clean.” I also swapped out the 650cc injectors for some stock ones. I’m leaning towards just have a nice daily at the moment.
1CCDA6E3-C417-4638-A9F1-9BE2ED640DA5.jpeg

I’m really digging the silver paint that I threw on the fuel rail. I used it on the thermostat housing and stuff too and I think it looks great. Going to eventually do the valve cover but waiting till I have more stuff together so I don’t scuff up new nice paint. I’m also prepping to do an FMIC. Hasn’t gotten here yet but I’m just going to make it work with pipes that I have laying around. Thankfully I have some pretty good starter pieces from when I changed stuff up on the Talon.
8BECACE9-DE47-493A-8236-A94B751CACB8.jpeg

Also: I’ve been prototyping a completely-bolt-in front bumper quick release mount! It’s pretty promising so far, just need to work a couple of dimensions.
EDA87D57-C195-4B44-85E6-DA08BA52F001.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back