The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

How to clean you 4g63t crank.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like to share a trick I used for years when building engines. Cleaning the crank properly is commonly missed by people. We assume that the hot tank or sonic washing will make the crank completely clean. From my experience I will testify that this is not a good assumption. Follow the following steps and your engine will be a lot happier.

Below is a used crank that was left in a hot tank over the weekend with new solvent. It was polished and put back in the hot tank for an hour. It looks clean but it holds a lot nastiness.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Bend the straw of a brake can like this.

Stick the straw into the oil hole of the rod journal facing the metal ball plug. The oil journal is at angle so position the straw to shot toward the metal ball plug.

I placed the crank over white paper towel to monitor my progress. Spray and spray until you see nothing comes out. Change paper towel as you go. Sometimes you have to wait a bit and spray again because more carbon will break loose.
Below is the crap that come out. In those carbons bits are metal shaving and old bearing material.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back