The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

How often does our water pumps leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
Well, I built a motor. We'll just say it's quick. I finally get the EMS tuned, get it back, but it's been having a ton of coolant problems. I have a Fluidyne radiator, a stock fan, and a slim fan on the compressor side for a/c. A LOT of my lines have been blowing, cracking, splitting, etc. I've had the coolant dump out of this thing at least 6 times in the past month, just from random lines breaking. I finally think it's all solved, go out on a drive, come back, and now all my fluid is dumping out of the timing belt side. A few of us have suggest my water pump leaking it all out? Is this possible? It'd have to be a major seperation to leak this bad? It's not like, dripping, it's literally pouring out as water is put in. But it couldn't be that bad? I hear a weird clinking noise every so often from it right after it dumped, but my timing belt and everything is fine...

How many miles are on your car? Is this the original water pump? Usually, water pumps on DSM last an average of 120,000 miles. It's recommended to change the water pump along with the timing belt at every other timing belt job.

Colossus said:
I hear a weird clinking noise every so often from it right after it dumped, but my timing belt and everything is fine...

I'd bet it was either a water pump related failure (housing, o-ring, or backed off gasket) or possibly a freeze plug blew out.

Just think though, few more drives and it will all be NEW!!!

I know thats not funny. I know that i hate it when problems happen over and over. Wish you luck. I just happen to be rebuilding a motor myself and i know im going to get a new pump. I just hope i never have theproblems that you seem to be having.

Good Luck

what dsm90awd said...there are no coolant lines on that side of the motor...one of two things

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back