The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

how much boost can the stock motor handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostdGST99

Probationary Member
Mar 17, 2004
Orland, Illinois
:dsm:
i just bought a 2G GST about 3 or 4 weeks ago and i'm starting mods already. i've been wondering for a while how much boost can the stock motor handle? how many psi is it running at stock? and if the stock turbo is running at full boost already? it's a 99 and i have a turbo xs BOV releasing to the atmosphere and i was going to get a manual boost controller, but before i do so , i want to know how much the stock block and stock internals can handle.

The block can hold a lot more than the internals can. The stock internals can handle about 350 HP. I dont know how much PSI that translates to. Did you search? I know this has been discussed before.

-mike:talon:

Usually 15 psi is the limit for a stock engine. I am pretty sure. Any thing over 15 psi would be giving hot air into the turbo.

If you have a stock turbo, I don't think you really have to worry about it seeing as the T25 doesn't hold boost consistantly beyond 15 to 17psi.

Don't vent to the atmosphere unless you're running an MAF translator or other proper venting method. Search if you don't know why. The T25 you're running will die in no time running more than 15 psi and it won't even be doing you any good at that poing anyway. Search for more details. Before you can run the most boost the engine can handle you're going to need to do at least $500 in mods to the fuel system. Again search. And if you want to know why you should search then you search. Then search some more. If that bov was your first mod then you have a lot more to learn than you think.

thanks for the help fellas. can the stock turbo even run up to 14psi? cuz if it can then i'm gonna push it to that point. i know i need fuel upgrades and all that, i plan on doing so. i just was wondering how much i could get out of the stock turbo. i'm gettin cams, cam gears, pistons, sleeves, connecting rods, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, ecu and ignition upgrades, pullies, clutch, flywheel, axles, fuel, manifold, t3/t4 turbo and all matching parts, greddy front mount, 3" downpipe and exhaust, wastegate, type RFL BOV, o2 sensor and all that good stuff in about a few weeks to a month. for now i just wanna get the most out of what i have so far, which is stock. i know i cant do too much but whatever i can i want to do.

I'm running 15 PSI on my T-2small right now. It has no problem, but I wouldn't go above that. The stock boost on the T-25 is 12 PSI. As for how much boost to run on stock internals I wouldn't go above 18 PSI like someone else said.

friend of mine runs 20psi every day on his car, with no problems. it runs better than mine even. also, dont vent your bov to the atmosphere... your idle will get screwy.

Originally posted by JiveMasterT
friend of mine runs 20psi every day on his car, with no problems. it runs better than mine even. also, dont vent your bov to the atmosphere... your idle will get screwy.

Agreed! It's worth the extra 30-40 for the recirculation kit, just to keep the bogging from occuring. But then again, some people are venting and don't have any problems.

wait so the stock turbo can only push 12psi? i haven't had any problems with my idle even though i have it venting to the atmosphere. i thought i would but surprisingly i havent. i dont even get fuel overload. i was surprised.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back