The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

How many EVO owners in here? Should we cater more to you guys?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
I know that a number of DSM owners end up buying EVOs. And some of you may know that we used to have a separate site for the EVO community that never really took off much. I still get a few people asking me if I'd consider opening a forum on DSMtuners that caters to the EVO guys. They've made the argument that the other EVO sites out there are not as good as DSMtuners - too much flaming and arrogant attitudes.

My question to all of the EVO owners in here - would you consider using a forum on this site if it was catered to the EVO crowd? Would you help answer questions and post good tech info and write-ups?

So, I'm not an Evo owner... yet, (keeping fingers crossed) but I'd like to see a section or two for them.

The Evo really is the progression of turbo AWD Mitsubishi technology, and we could attract members with higher budgets and a good technical knowledge base. Not saying we don't have plenty of innovators here, but the chance of someone pushing the technology envelope is greater when they have the financial means to modify a more expensive and more technically advanced vehicle.

The DSMs we all love have fallen in price enough that they're becoming more of a "first car" for teenagers and first time tuners, while the newer Evo is the next logical step up for an experienced tuner who started out with a DSM.

In short, I think we'd all benefit from welcoming them aboard. Just don't let them declare a mutiny and overrun us. :)

Can you put your finger on why the EvoTuners forum has not taken off like this one has, besides the fact that there are fewer Evo owners out there than DSM's? 4100ish members vs 96000ish here is a huge difference.

How would you incorporate the Evo information here? Would there be more of a 4G63T spin put on the site, as opposed to strictly DSM's? There is plenty of crossover, obviously, between the motors, and I agree with what delta448 said about bigger budgets/fancier toys and the trickle down effect that could create. I certainly see myself buying an Evo in the next few years as prices continue to come down, and making the Talon a purely track/weekend car.

I wonder, though, if there's going to be enough interest in incorporating Evo owners here if they can't even populate their own site, let alone joining up with a site that caters to "kids cars". < I don't believe that, but I'm sure there are enough snooty Evo drivers who think along those lines.

I want to buy an Evo 9 soon myself; however, I will not be ridding myself of my DSM. I think the best and only cool Evo owners are guys/girls that owned DSMs prior or currently. If the section for the Evo owners was strongly advertised to the DSM/Evo owners, I think it would be a great idea and we could get along.

There are too many kids, and I mean kids, who's parents buy them Evos and for the modifications. Those are the pricks who litter and pollute the Evo population. That's my 0.2 cents.

Sounds great. I dont have an Evo yet, but I do read about them so I know what to expect when that day comes.

We might see more of my locals like 95GSXracer if this was the case.

always looking toward innovation.... not so much of renovation. i'd welcome them aboard:talon:

I'm indifferent. I own an evo but still have the dsm and am here more than evom. That's probably because this is more like home and that's useless to me until I start modding the evo. I think having a section for them would be nice, but you're not going to see the massive amounts of tech info that is on evom (although I'm sure there'd be less BS to sort through to get to what is available) I made maybe 10 posts on evotuners, again probably because I have yet to get into modding it

I think there will be two challenges to overcome:

Inviting Evos without creating an atmosphere of people who look down on the DSMers who were here first and have seniority.

Not making it feel like the Evo owners have to walk on shells or that they are an isolated non inclusive section of DSM culture.

EVO9 owner here - i cant offer much of an opinion as i dont care about modding the EVO as of yet. (warranty) I do know that i HATE evoM

I do know that i HATE evoM

Can I get an amen!

... and just to touch on what Ludachris wrote in the title. I'm not even looking to be catered to. I'm just looking for a helpful friendly place.

Oh gee, I'm already there. :D

Sounds like a good idea just adding a forum instead of a seprate site. I vote yes. If it doesn't work out you can always kill it -dur.

I'd just add a forum, but I don't think this site should EVER lose its focus on DSM's. In five or ten years, as more and more of our cars drop off the roads, will this become an EVO site with a small DSM section? I hope not. We can't ever let this place go the way of the .org

EvoIX owner here. I started a new thread last night and it was moved to the hangout forum. ROFL

Anyhow, since I started out as a dsm'er, it's really hard to move away from this site. I always find myself checking out what's new and what others have to say in regards to what they have to say to other fellow tuners.

It would be some time before i can actually provide any help or suggestion, because it will remain stock for some time until my warranty runs out. Maybe when the time comes, I might be able to provide some useful info.

Lastly, I will always have respect to fellow tuners even when I'm out driving my Evo.

Below is what i posted last night.

After 3 1/2 long years
Hello Socal Tuners,

This year is almost over and normally each year I would buy a few mods for my special dsm.

However, this year will be different. No new mods for my ride or out of the country trips. This time I've decided to do something different and big. I've decided to take that next step in a dsm'ers life. Below is an example of what my new ride looks like (picture borrowed from other forum).

I have yet to take pictures of her because my cameras down and the car needs to be waxed. It's a 2006 Graphite Grey Evo IX MR/SE with about 13k miles to the odometer. Currently bone stock with no future mods in mind (i now have to watch what i spend).

I will still be hanging around here from time to time when time permits (especially when it comes to classified section...). Anyhow, I just want to shout out to all dsm'ers that I've meet and befriended and say thank you for all your help and support. It was a blast doing canyon runs, simple in-house meets (at Andy's), and dyno runs .

If you see a Grey Evo IX MR/SE with a bald headed driver, honk! I will surely wave and honk back.

Link to my EvoIX picture - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/236470-quitters-soon-ghosts-us-29.html

I do know that i HATE evoM

:thumb:

It took me almost a year to realize the BS that goes around in that forum. I started out as a DSM to a base Lancer and now an Evo. I've seen different perspectives from all three views and let me tell you, some of the Evo guys can be elitists. EvoM has sections designated for the Evo guys and the base Lancer guys. I'm not going into detail but in short let me say that the forum is somewhat segregated. I'm new to this site but I don't want to see the same thing happening here. :dsm:

EvoM has sections designated for the Evo guys and the base Lancer guys. I'm not going into detail but in short let me say that the forum is somewhat segregated.

I don't see a problem with that. Guess what this site is segregated to, there's a whole section specifically for 420a's. It's not a bad thing, makes it easier to find what you are looking for. You search "turbo install" for the entire site but want info on a 420a (here) or a base lancer (on evom) you are going to come up with a crap load of threads that don't apply to what you're looking for.

It would be cool, but evo owners who start flaming and being elitists and speak down condescendingly on dsm's should really be banned. The day evo owners start getting away with things like these is the day I go back to dsmtalk(which I really like)!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back