The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

High pitched engine sound video .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EclipseTurbo

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2004
Northwest, New_Jersey
listen to it in the back ground of this video. The car has been sitting for about 3 months.
I changed the started on in to the proper that should work and did alot of other work like intalled and painted the valve cover, fuel line, turbo replacement. Now I start it and it sound like that coming from the valve train,. I did change the crank pulley- harmonic balancer 15k ago.
YouTube - 98 GST 4g63

I say give it some Full Synthetic Oil & a good Filter & it'll be fine - Nothing to do with the Lifter "clatter" but you ought to put heat Shield back on that Exhaust Manifold too.

It is hard to tell by the poor sound of your video but it could be several things. It is probably ticking lash adjusters. You can try changing that oil and putting some thinnner oil and an additive like Lucas oil stabilizer. To compound the problem if I see snow around and that your sast for a long time it may have smashed the adjuster down which cannot be fixed by oil or additives. You should then pull the rocker arm cover off and inspect the rocker arrms to see if any of the adjusters are stuck down and that the aduster is not making contact with the rockerarm when the valve is open. The noise is almost always assoiciated with the intake side. I had mine sit for a long time like that and it was very cold when I started it one day and it jammed one of my lifters and I tried everything until I inspected it and found it was totally stuck. It was a fairly new lifter on like 5-6K miles on it. These will tick sometimes until the car has been warmed up and run for a while some times hours when it was sitting as long as you stated.

You might try some foam over the mic part of your camcorder it might muffle some of the other hi decibal background noise from the exhaust and turbine housing.

I had a new oil put in Full synthetic High mileage Mobil 1 10W=30, and a proline filter.
I never used mobil's high mileage oil but that should have nothing to do with it.
I am not able to run the car until it is fully warmed up since I'm leaking alittle bit of oil and the new fitting is coming in the mail soon. I am not worried about the lifter tick only that loud sound in the background. THis is what I want to do:

1.) Add more oil, I have put five quartz after the turbo change maybe it needs more oil,
but i have the car on ramps so checking the level is not easy right now.
2.) Run the car until it is full warmed up and see if it goes away.
3.) Add a lucas engine oil stabilizer or Restore.
4.) Pull the valve cover and check for the stuck lifters.

Thank you I will let you know how it goes.

Could any damage occur when the car is beaing driven with them stuck?
Sorry I used 10w-30 engine oil for what i wrote as a 5w-10 above

My gst had similar sound from the engine, came down to be rod knock and replaced the motor. Is your motor showing overheat while you driving it? If it does, stop driving it, it might damage your motor.

Just got it fixed, it was the 1g starter in my 2g being engaged all the time with the flywheel since it was longer. I rebuild my old 2g starter from the perfect parts that were in it . Thanks .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back