The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

helping a friend with 50trim setup need help with safc

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95 tsi awd

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2005
belleville, New_Jersey
i helping my friend tune his 91 gsx. its got a t3/t4 50 trim with a safc I and 550's, fmic. 2g mas, 3" turboback, o2 dump. it has no tune what so ever it got messed up. its got 450's on it now but were putting in 550's. its only running 8 pounds of boost right now. its got idle surge between 1100 rpms and 1500. then when he drives it he puts it on karmen setting and it kinda sputters when he drives it. we dont have a datlogger to tune with either. anyone know what i should make the settings for the safc just to make it run normal? thanks guys

first off get a datalogger. DO NOT touch anything until you do. second the injectors are way to small to get any use out of that 50 trim. you should be running at least 650's or higher.and those are nearing the limits of the afc. so if you plan to get your moneys worth out of that turbo get a logger, bigger injectors, upgrade the fuel pump if you havent already, afpr, and look into a better tuning device.

hell even 650s are to small if you plan on running that turbo I use 850s on a 20g I had to upgrade from Greedy 660s to 850s.... with 550s on and 9psi doubt that / check for some boost leaks. I believe 550s are 18% bigger than stock so -18% across the board should be safe.

i told him he needed atleast 650's but hes buying the 550's off of our friend thats got a 90 awd. his a/f gauge is reading rich at some points then lean its weird. shouldnt the 550's atleast hold like 12-15 pounds of boost on a tune with the safc? also how do i get to the baseline corrections for the fuel injectors on the safc cause i cant find it on there i was looking for it

Hrm my words came out wrong I ment I doubt he is only doing 9psi.

Anyway yes you can run about 15psi with the 550s make sure ya grab a logger suggested above though if you want to run higher and look at your IDC injector Duty Cycle. -18 across should be safe but will be safer if ya get that logger on there.:dsm:

ok what else should i change safely without the logger? i already set the nepoints and the th points. there at 1k,2k,3k,4k,4.5k,5k,6k,7k and the low trigger is set at 30 and the high trigger is set at 80. what else can i do?

Thats about it bud,
If you never tuned before I really would not even stress my -18% because every DSM acts different but using only about 15psi on a turbo like that is gonna push some great air and can harm his engine. I would put it to the 15psi and not do any racing till I got a logger. Its pretty cheap for a 1gen to do so look it up. I know its real tempting but just ease off tell ya get that logger and you can dial her in correctly, trust me it will pay off.

he has boost leaks too i know that too. but right now its got the 450s on it and it runs rich sometimes then lean them stoich. im trying to help him just to get it running ok so it can be his DD

Do this.

Fix every damn boost leak 1st

leave the 450s in and low boost

sell the 550s buy some 650-750ish

Buy the logger w/ palm

Then go from there thats ###### what I would do. even check the plugs and get some NGKs 5 bucks wont hurt anything.

alright thanks bro. ill let you know how it turns out because i might need some help tuning when everything is fixed.

Don't even waste your time trying to tune of a worthless light show of a narrowband A/F gauge.

Get a logger and actually see the knock sum and the timing. If you want to accurately see if the car is running rich or lean get a wideband O2 setup.

second the injectors are way to small to get any use out of that 50 trim. you should be running at least 650's or higher..

Ditto on this. You can get %98 duty cycle out of 450's on a 14B. Your basically pissing in the wind shortchanging yourself on injector. 660's would be the PERFECT injector and you can go crazy speed racer fast on that setup.

With a 2G maf and an uncompensated ECU you could probably run the 660's on an AFC semi successfully, hell 5 years ago this was your only option.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back