The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help with Coilover Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymoraitis

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2004
Utica, Michigan
Howdy All,

When I bought my GSX, the previous owner had installed a set of Skunk2 coilovers on Tokico Illuminas. The car is set up more for drag launching with the front about 1" lower than the rear. In any event, I'd like to lower the rear by 1" and then have all four aligned, but I didn't receive any adjustment tools with the car to do so.

Is there any place where I can pick these up and if not, is there a a way to adjust them without the tools? I wrote to Skunk2 and they haven't gotten back to me and I'd really like to get this done as soon as possible. Also, do I only need to take the weight off of the wheel and remove it for access, or does the whole shock/coilover arrangement need to come out?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

the older coilovers use some special tool, newer style use an alan wrench type bolt to clamp them.
for the older style, you should be able to buy the tools, search the internet, im sure they are out there.
for the newer style, buy a set of alan wrenches and find the one that fits in there.

I was actually able to do this by hand with some basic tools and a huge pair of channel locks without messing anything up. I'm so happy I could pee! The spring bounce is gone and the rear sits another inch lower. The handling is much more linear and even as a result and the car looks great. Time for an alignment...

i lost the tool for my old coilovers so i never tightened the locks on them :shhh:
but then again it was a show car, didn't drive on the road much, and they were set as low as they would go so there wasnt anything to really worry about as far as them adjusting them selves.
Congrats on getting it fixed yourself though. :thumb:

A quick google for "spanner wrench" will get you what you want. Warning: this label is used for two different types of tool. You want one of these:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_wrenc.htm

- Jtoby

ps. anyone who lowers the rear of a 2G and tests the handling before getting an alignment is just begging for new rear tires

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back