The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

help i messed up. (BSE)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

210 dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
san antonio, Texas
ok, im in the middle of doing the balance shaft elimination right now and i think i ###c'd up. the first thing i did after getting the timing cover off was crack loose the two bolts that hold the auto tensioner to the front oil pump cover. and when the last bolt started to be finished un-threading the auto tensioner popped a little to the side and came off and the timing marks are now a little off. then enough slack was in the timing belt to slip it off.but i havent taken it off yet ,and the motor was set to TDC. what i need help with is wasent i suppose to brake loose the balance shaft sprocket and oil pump sprocket before i let the tension out of the timing belt? ### now that i realized i screwed up i cant put the auto tensioner back in its spot to tighten the timing belt again. is there some way to compress that little piston thing on top the auto tensioner? i hope you peps now what im talking about . if not just ask. i really need to get this done. please!!!:dsm:

You can compress it with a vice and put a "grenade" pin in the little hole. Usually you can still get those bolts off however, just sometimes you may need an extra hand.

what do you mean by "grenade" pin

You align the two holes and put something through them (drill bit, wire, paper clip etc.). It's just to hold the piston depressed. Then, once you get it bolted up and in place, you 'pull the grenade pin' as it were, and the piston comes out to tension the belt.

And yes, it'll change the alignment a little bit. So one you have it on and everything looks as it should, it's important that you turn the motor over by hand. Make sure everything lines up again as you turn, and if you feel any resistance stop. Recheck everything before startup. :thumb:

When you compress your autotensioner with a C clamp do it slowly! I cant remember the exact procedure, but its like a half turn of the clamp every five minutes. Compressing the tensioner all at once and quickly will damage the tensioner. Also make sure that it is not leaking oil.

But you shouldnt need to put it back on to break those bolts loose. For the oil pump bolt, stick a screwdriver in the back of the block to jamb the rear balance shaft. That will prevent the oil pump bolt from spinning. For the crank sprocket bolt, use a large screwdriver to jamb the teeth of the flywheel to prevent the crank from turning. Good luck!

yea i had the same stupid problem but what i did was use a jack and the wieght of the car and do it just let it compress itself then stick some kinda small pin or something metal to keep it in place and take out after u install everything

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back