The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Heat Shields Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsmith

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 24, 2005
Smithland, Kentucky
My heat shield over my turbo has rusted out around the bolts and starts vibrating very badly at around 4k rpm's. I called everywhere looking for the cover but no one had it except the dealer so I went ahead and got a price quote. For the Manifold Shield - $68.55 and for the Turbo Shield - $36.49. Yesterday though I ran across the virtual tour of a DSM engine bay (http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/1G/visual-index.htm) and it called the heat shield that covered the turbo the manifold heats hield. So my question is which shield should I buy so that it will be the right replacement for mine that is rusted out? Thanks in advance.

Look at the pictures on the computer screen when you go to order from the dealer. That way you get what you want.
My guess is that from the dealer, the manifold shield is the upper one and the turbo shield is the lower one.

Every DSM i have owned has had no heat shield. You could get buy without one. Probably better to keep them on because they do actually serve a purpose but you could get buy with just taking it off.

You dont really need it. The only reason its there is to keep the wires (Especially the 02 wire) from touching it and burning. You can take it off and you will not have a problem. Just tie the 02 wire to the Valve Cover or something. :thumb:

I may take a shot at just removing it completely then, but I'd still like that extra protection.

See if you can't take all the rust off then paint it black and polish the under side of it. It'll help it last longer and it'll look alot better.

fyi mits part # is 12732p for the heat shield that goes around turbo and o2 housing. i just happen to have the print out right in front of me because i am ordering parts today. ouch a diff and the diff bearings the gasket between turbo and manifold and then the 2 bolts to bolt on the turbo to the manifold. but now you have that # for referance

That thought crossed my mind for the manifold cover but when I took it off it really just seemed like it was too flimsy for that. I may give that another go around this weekend though.

P.S. This is Logan off of 502ss. :D I know who you are now and sorry things didnt work out with the car, I just couldn't do it.

What you need is the upper heat shield. I do not recommend removing your heat shield unless it's absolutely necessary as it serves many purposes.

1. Prevents melting of the cooling fans.

2. Prevents high engine bay temperature.

3. Keeps heat in your exhaust system. The hotter the exhaust temperature the fast the flow.

Lsmith said:
My heat shield over my turbo has rusted out around the bolts and starts vibrating very badly at around 4k rpm's. I called everywhere looking for the cover but no one had it except the dealer so I went ahead and got a price quote.
Sounds like you didn't try one of our sponsors, Mitsubishi Graveyard, or even M&S Recycling.

It's no problem Logan. I still havn't sold mine yet anyway.

The lower heatshield isn't as important as the upper heat shield. I would still recommend throwing a couple layers of high temp black paint on the outside portion of the heat shields, and then polishing the inside portion with a wire wheel.
It will help.
The manifold shield is the top cover that the O2 wire rests on. The turbo heat shield is the lower heat shield that the O2 sensor goes through. You know what I'm sayin'?

Mitsubishi Graveyard will have what you're looking for. If not, write back and let us know.

I got both of the shields off of Mitsubishi Graveyard for $40 shipped. Thanks a lot for letting me know about that site, it saved me a bunch of money. Thanks again!

In an somewhat off topic question, does a 2g heat shield fit on a 1g? Will it fit if I switch to a 2g manifold? (not like I would change the manifold just for the shield, just curious.)

i put a 16g on my 2g and the heat shield would not fit back on so i left it off. a few days later my fan blades were warped. what can i do to get a shield to fit?

bird man said:
i put a 16g on my 2g and the heat shield would not fit back on so i left it off. a few days later my fan blades were warped. what can i do to get a shield to fit?

Not to hi-jack anyone's thread or anything... but you could always make one. They're just thin pieces of metal. It would only take and hour, metal shears, pop-rivets, a drill, and sheet metal to fabricate a decent heat shield. I've seen it done before; I know Corbin made a heat shield at one time or another for his car.

VelocitàPaola said:
Not to hi-jack anyone's thread or anything... but you could always make one. They're just thin pieces of metal. It would only take and hour, metal shears, pop-rivets, a drill, and sheet metal to fabricate a decent heat shield. I've seen it done before; I know Corbin made a heat shield at one time or another for his car.

There actually 2 pieces of metal with a material sandwiched in between.

1. Buy a sheet of diamond plate,
2. take the old heat shields off,
3. make templates out of cardboard,
4. copy onto diamond plate,
5. cut out
6. bend or weld depending on how you cut/what you have access too
7. ?????
8. profit

Whats the easiest way to disassemble the lower (turbo) heat shield? It looks bad and I want to paint it. I took all the bolts off, but the shield hits either the dipstick housing, alternator, engine block, o2 sensor... What should come off to get this done? Thanks

Lsmith, I know you already got your part, but I just wanted to mention for the future that Miller Import Parts was an invaluable resource for me when I was trying to return my car to stock. I purchased almost all of my parts from him. Very helpful and very pleasant guy to work with!
https://millerimportparts.com/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back