The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Hallman Pro Boost Controller Failing to Regulate Boost

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightRider97

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 29, 2006
SW, Nebraska
Got a weird one here guys. I couldn't find anything anywhere on the net like this. My car has a new engine that I'm trying to get dialed in, but I noticed over the last few days my boost has been getting higher and higher. Tonight it was crazy.
I have a Hallman Pro manual boost controller installed, my turbo is a FP Big28 and I have 2.5" hard IC piping. I fixed a boost leak that apparently happened right after the engine was installed and ever since then my boost has been getting higher and higher.
I have the MBC set to 16psi, after fixing the boost leak it came into full spool at about 3100 and hit the 16psi mark easily after a few seconds. Normal right? Takes a few seconds to spool up and get it up to full boost.
Well lately its been doing 20psi and spooling faster, say when it was doing 20psi it would be into full boost by 2900rpm.
Here's the best part. Tonight I downshifted and mashed on it to pass someone going 55 on the interstate, it scared me so much I let out of the throttle and slowed down. I went from 55 to 90mph in literally nothing flat and my boost gauge went from a cruising 0psi all the way around my gauge planting the needle on the peg that sets at the bottom of the vacuum reading. In short it completely rounded the gauge, maxed it out. The highest boost level my gauge reads is 20psi, I never figured I'd run over that with a Big28. So to put this into perspective, here's a picture of the gauge.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I'm guessing it was running ~30psi of boost with that needle all the way over jammed up against the peg, am I wrong?
So here's the question, why all of a sudden does my turbo spool SOOOOO much faster, and why does it boost so much higher? I did not adjust the MBC at all.

Boost controllers are good investments but I know this won't answer your question but instead of MBC's I would get a legit tune for your car. Safest way to up the boost without blowing anything up or what not.

Have you check your vacuum lines? Is it properly installed? Is your wastegate working and not stuck? Could be boost creep.

Alright someone is going to have to explain boost creep to me because the search function on this forum sucks. I can't believe all the crap posts it shows. Stuff that has nothing to do with what I searched for.

I checked all the vacuum lines they are all still attached, my MBC is properly installed and my car does have a base tune, it doesn't run lean all the time nor ritch. It does do some weird leaning out as I'm driving, it will randomly lean out, normally it does it twice, leans out for a second then normal then leans out again and then back to normal. Still trying to track down the cause of that.
I have a wideband on my car and the in WOT it never leans out, in fact its almost always running in the 10's.

I'll explain what its doing and you tell me if its boost creep, then explain what boost creep is.
Say I'm driving, I downshift bringing the rpms over 3k and mash it, the gauge almost instantly hits the peg. Its not a boost spike because it will literally stay there if you hold the pedal down.

I'll boost leak test it tonight again to see if there are any unseen lines that came undone but I doubt it.

Doing what wrong? The MBC is hooked up to the turbo compressor housing, hose comes out of housing nipple, into bottom of controller, hose goes out of side of controller into the wastegate. Pretty simple. I wasn't born yesterday and this is not the first car I've ever built.

Doing what wrong? The MBC is hooked up to the turbo compressor housing, hose comes out of housing nipple, into bottom of controller, hose goes out of side of controller into the wastegate. Pretty simple. I wasn't born yesterday and this is not the first car I've ever built.

Hey I guess you know what your doing. Trying to help but your too stubbon, so enjoy lifting that head. :D

I take it your running internal gated? Try turning your BC down. Does it always spike no matter what? What type of vacume hoses are you running, is there a chance that they are cheap/stock that are collapsing/pinched? To me it sounds like your BC has failed and it isn't limiting your boost, or your boost gauge isn't reading properly. If your tuned and WOT shoes good AFR and the needle is spiking then this sounds like a false reading on the boost gauge. If the turbo was really going to 30psi then you would hit fuel cut, lean out, something other than 10's in the WB. You could have a pinch in the t-line coming off the manifold, or something else wrong with the vacume line going to the boost gauge. 20psi boost gauge seems really low for your setup, shouldn't you have at least a 30+? I assume that your going to run mid 20's on that FP28 at some point right? Is the boost gauge a good brand/new, recently installed? I just find it weird that you can hold a tune and going more than 10psi over your set value.

Well it looks like weve came to an understanding.

Deffinatley tighten the nipples on the boost controller though, I had 2 boost controllers do this to me, i thought they were broken until i took them apart to inspect them. and the nipples screwed off waaaay to easy.

On my Hallman I had problems with the barbs shaving bits of rubber off the hoses which would then blow into the BC and jam it up. The barbs are really sharp on the edges, so It was impossible to push the hoses on without getting hose bits inside.

I always had to take it apart and clean it out until I switched to silicone hose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back