1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Greddy Type RS bov adjustment broken help!

Posted by Brad Bell, Dec 14, 2014

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Brad Bell

Brad Bell Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2014
    Levant, Maine
    Hey guys, recently I started a thread on my 420a turbo car I bought, please check that out to know the story on my car. Now back to the purpose of this thread. There is a Greddy Type rs bov on my car that I bought, I noticed that the bov wasn't "blowing off" so I took a look at it. First thing I noticed was that the adjustment screw was actually upside down so that the Alan key hole was actually inside the bov. I then noticed that the threads inside of the bov were destroyed and cross threaded, so that the adjustment screw would just slide and do nothing. Can I create new threads? I know how to cut new threads and all but my question is would it affect the bov? Would a new adjustment screw a little larger affect it?
    Thanks.

Street Build 448  9

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. jimsgsx

jimsgsx Proven Member

Joined Oct 21, 2013
    toppenish, Washington
    Save the troubles and get a 1g bov. Much cheaper and works better. The greddy rs sucks. I had one too.

Street Build 3K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. Brad Bell

Brad Bell Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2014
    Levant, Maine
    Sure the 1g is a possible option, but I wasn't sure if it was an easy fix or not.

Street Build 448  9

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. GsXdSmKingGsX

GsXdSmKingGsX Proven Member

Joined Dec 13, 2008
    Plainview, Minnesota
    Honestly, you can pick a 1g for around under $100 and it will be less expensive then trying to repair that.

Or even search the classifieds for other Greddys.

5. phantom_19

phantom_19 Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2007
    curacao, South America
    All these guys are saying buy new stuff. I had a RS i bought here for 40 dollars. All it needed was to be threaded. Saved over 90 dollars just by fixing the problem. Thread it. Make sure the bottom of the bolt is rounded. The top will need to be locked with a nut. You probably need a thicker bolt since you are widening it by threading again.

918  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. jimsgsx

jimsgsx Proven Member

Joined Oct 21, 2013
    toppenish, Washington
    Only 30 bucks for a 1g bov, which is a great investment for your car. Or mickey rig a rs. Pretty plain choice there.

Street Build 3K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  7. edgarno

edgarno Probationary Member

Joined Dec 14, 2014
    wildwood, Florida
    I have the Bov 1g on my 2g gst and haven't had any problems. It has Lasted it's oem and works perfect so my advice would be just get the 1g Bov saves money and it's own it'll last u a whileee

8. guseclipse

guseclipse Proven Member

Joined Sep 10, 2010
    Paso Robles, California
    I have a greddy rs. It was stripped when I bought it. I just retapped the hole to a bigger size. Also had to replace the diaphragm. After all that I finally got a working bov.

Street Build 1K  0

13.00 @ 100.000 · 2G DSM
  9. bucken13

bucken13 Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2014
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Yes you can re tap it. Go to your local AutoZone or harbor freight and get a Tap and Die set it will come with a tap-drill bit size sheet go 1 one size over the current bolt. And like stated above make sure it is rounded line the original bolt. AutoZone has a full kit for 30$ which will work just fine on the mild aluminum. You already have the greedy KEEP IT. Why down grade to a 1g bov. DSMs are not the only plateform the GReedy RS has been used and is proven on. It is a great bov. Keep it, fix it, and boost on.

10. Boost3d VooDoo

Boost3d VooDoo Probationary Member

Joined Jan 3, 2014
    Renick, West Virginia
    Honestly I would see what you could do with the BOV you have, And if it doesn't work no big deal your not out of anything but then you gotta go buy a new BOV anyways. I would explore the tap and die idea first see what could be accomplished.

241  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM