The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Gas mileage and turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slo2gen

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2005
Upstate, South_Carolina
I know that gas mileage will fall dramaticly when you put forced induction on a car but right now I can get about 400 miles to a tank of gas on my rs. I was just wondering what the mileage would be like on turboed rs or gs. How much does the mileage suffer?

Turbos are actually rock for gas mileage, thus the big rigs and turbo diesels ROFL

...it's when you get on it all the time (which most of us love to do with a turbo) when you notice a dramatic decrease in gas mileage...also depending on the tune of course :thumb:

XMasta19 said:
Turbos are actually rock for gas mileage, thus the big rigs and turbo diesels ROFL

...it's when you get on it all the time (which most of us love to do with a turbo) when you notice a dramatic decrease in gas mileage...also depending on the tune of course :thumb:

Cut that figure in half. Boost is addicting :D

Yeah driving normally and boost occasionally I can squeeze out 300miles to the tank, If I'm always boosting and running around I can usually get 220miles at 3/4 left because I fill up before then unless I'm at the track.

But I've gone out a couple nights here and there, and I might go 60miles on a full tank and Wind up with close to half a tank when I'm finished. Its kind of scary looking at how much gas you can possibly go through.

yeah i went from about 28 mpg mostly driving around town to 23mpg with about half highway and half city and not getting on it all the time, i'd say you should be able to get at least 250mptank

It all depends on your driving really. When I first got the boost, I was so boost happy I was getting about 18 mpg. Now I have slowed it down a bit and now I get around 23 city. But I got 33 on the highway though! :D

its all based on your rpms, not speed

going at 65 you use 25% more gas than at 55 because at 55 you are at 2k rpm, at 65 2.5k rpm. 500 rpm is 25% of 2000.

turbo an rs, say at 7 lbs to make things easier. 14.7 is sea level air pressure. so you will be having 21.7 pressure which is 150%, which means you use 50% more gas.

WTF .....did you not notice that this thread is over a month old :shhh:

thanks for your uber cool mumbo jumbo...do us a favor and check dates :thumb:

dunno about you guys but with 525s im gettin maybe a mile less on highway, just the city MPG is killin me i think i lost about 5-8MPG, doesnt help that i never get past 2nd gear :sosad:

DSMcrazy3 said:
Still upset about this guys other post eh? ROFL

:D LOL ROFL

some people give negative feedback because they don't like hearing the truth :rolleyes:

I guess I'll just stop being nice and answering the n3wbz questions :p

WHite97RS said:
dunno about you guys but with 525s im gettin maybe a mile less on highway, just the city MPG is killin me i think i lost about 5-8MPG, doesnt help that i never get past 2nd gear :sosad:
yea those big injecters flow more fuel so yo use more :dsm:
i get way more the 200 miles to a tank of gas i haven't really noticed a difference in the gas mileage that is if you cheep the boost lvls down it well be hard when you first get it turboed because its a new feeling. like the the first time you get some ass. yea do it for while then you want more!

Just regulate your fuel properly, and get some good tuning done with good air fuels across the whole rpm range, and keep your foot off the gas when you don't need too.

A while back Ebay was auctioning off they're gas saving device....I think it was a wood block under the gas pedal. Whats even more funny is that someone people actually made bids on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back