The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Fwd "Performance " Axles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daren_p

DSM Wiseman
Nov 22, 2004
Newmarket, ON_Canada
Have a couple questions about axles on my fwd. I will be running Hoosier drag radials at the track this year & was thinking about maybe swapping to a stronger axle, in the hopes I won't snap them. My first question (& think the answer is no) is can you swap 2g fwd & awd front axles (to lose the unequal length fwd axles)? Have read the shaft diameter is different at the tranny end but thought RRE only listed one Quaife for both fwd & awd....

Second question is for guys that are running upgraded axles what are you running, what kinf od power are you making & of course with what type of tire. Think my choices are pretty limited. Looks like Raxles doesn't make a "performance" axle for fwd's & the ones from DSS are ~$700 & top of the line are ~$1500. Currently the most I'll be making is around 400whp (limited by stock block), so what would be better suited to me? (really don't want to spend $1500 on axles)

AWD axle's won't fit. You will be fine on the stock axle's depending on mileage. I ran a 24" slick for a while when I had my 95 GST making 477whp and just had A-1 Cardone Rebuilt axle's in it because my other one's were clicking and they worked great. Cost me about 89.99 a piece. Never had any problems even on the slicks. Had I gone bigger power, like on this car, I will be upgrading to the DSS axle's. Just depends on your launching style. I'm more of a clutch slipper and usually try to preload the drivetrain at the line before launching. But I had done several 4700 clutch drop launches, with anti-lag and had no problems with the axles breaking, liquidated a transmission though.

AWD axle's won't fit. You will be fine on the stock axle's depending on mileage. I ran a 24" slick for a while when I had my 95 GST making 477whp and just had A-1 Cardone Rebuilt axle's in it because my other one's were clicking and they worked great. Cost me about 89.99 a piece. Never had any problems even on the slicks. Had I gone bigger power, like on this car, I will be upgrading to the DSS axle's. Just depends on your launching style. I'm more of a clutch slipper and usually try to preload the drivetrain at the line before launching. But I had done several 4700 clutch drop launches, with anti-lag and had no problems with the axles breaking, liquidated a transmission though.

Don't foget he says he will be using Drag radials, they will always have a tendancy of creating wheel hop; more so then a full slick... I see no reason for D-radials on a FWD car. Wheel hop is what shears axels. IMO go with full slicks. Slicks have the ability to generate more wrinkle in the sidewall V.S a stiff walled drag radial. Slicks will be more forgiving actually. Ofcourse you know the importance of a properly set up (Stiff) suspension on a FWD... The launch/60 ft will be decided with the suspension and tire; they are the keys to success.

With his suspension setup wheel hop SHOULD be non existent.

Don't foget he says he will be using Drag radials, they will always have a tendancy of creating wheel hop; more so then a full slick... I see no reason for D-radials on a FWD car. Wheel hop is what shears axels. IMO go with full slicks. Slicks have the ability to generate more wrinkle in the sidewall V.S a stiff walled drag radial. Slicks will be more forgiving actually. Ofcourse you know the importance of a properly set up (Stiff) suspension on a FWD... The launch/60 ft will be decided with the suspension and tire; they are the keys to success.

Thanks for the input but with my Wilwood brake setup, slicks are not an option (& I don't plan on downgrading my brakes). Smallest wheel I can run is 16", that the only reason I went with drag radials over slicks. My Hoosiers are 225/50/16 & are very light weight & seem to have a pretty soft sidewall (though obviously not as much give as a slick).

Alot of the time I would see some pretty nasty wheel hop at the track (never on the street & some tracks much worse then others) but I think most can be attributed to the 225/40/18 rubber I was running, with basically no sidewall.

I was going to use the ebrake to preload the drivetrain on launch & I think I would consider myself pretty easy on the lauch. 4000rpm & slipping the clutch. I never just dump the clutch.

Okay, have briefly talked to DSS through email (will have to call & get more specific info) & at first between the level 2 & level 5, they said I should go with the level 5. If I do upgrade axles, I really don't want to spend that much (as I would eventually like to swap to awd). I think a level 3 axles would be better suited to me (think the 5 is overkill, rated at 750whp but the 2 may not be enough at 400 whp) but they didn't have them listed for factory turbo fwd cars (just the NT's). When I inquired about this they said they could do a custom level 3.9 axles for around $1200, which looks like is rated for around 600whp. Sounds like the weak link in the level 2 axle is the outer cv & this level upgrades that.

Is there any fwd's running upgraded axles out there? What do people find tends to break first?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back